‘It was a massacre of our people’

2011-02-15 12:45

Juba, Sudan – Almost 200 people died in a rebel attack in South Sudan last week, the secretary-general of the South’s ruling party said today, nearly double that of an earlier death toll.

“We lost 197 of our people in Fangak county as a result of a heinous attack by George Athor’s forces on a defenceless civilian population,” said Pagan Amum, secretary-general of the ex-rebel Sudan People’s Liberation Movement (SPLM).

“It was a massacre of our people.”

Last Wednesday, troops loyal to renegade southern general Athor attacked soldiers in the South’s Sudan People’s Liberation Army, shattering a “permanent ceasefire” they signed just last month.

The updated toll follows a government assessment mission to the region.

Southern army spokesperson Philip Aguer confirmed the death toll had risen, adding there had been no new clashes since fighting ended last Thursday.

“The numbers have risen from what was initially reported,” said Aguer, who did not have exact figures.

“There were many civilians killed in the fighting who we were not initially aware of.”

The attacks come just days after the formal confirmation of the results of the January 9-15 referendum on southern independence, in which almost 99 percent of southerners voted to secede from the north and split Africa’s largest country in two.

“All this has happened after the most peaceful referendum by the people of southern Sudan to determine their future,” Amum said.

There was no immediate response from Athor when AFP tried to contact him by telephone.

But last week, speaking to the independent Sudan Radio Service, he accused the SPLA of starting the attacks.

Athor launched his rebellion last year after claiming he was cheated in an election for the governorship of Jonglei state, the south’s most populous.

Athor’s men signed the January ceasefire with the southern army just days before the landmark referendum, but he himself stayed away from the signing ceremony in the regional capital Juba.

Southern officials have accused him of using the ceasefire period to recruit more fighters.
South Sudan has repeatedly accused Athor and his men of acting on behalf of Khartoum in a bid to destabilise the region, a charge northern officials have denied. 

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.