‘It’s like the ANC rising up against the ANC’

2012-08-21 11:51

The ANC Youth League in Limpopo has shelved its plans to march to the offices of the provincial department of education today following lengthy talks with ANC leaders in the province.

However, an ANC provincial executive committee member said the ANC chastised the league, saying it should stop exposing the ruling party to more and unnecessary public ridicule.

The source said senior party leaders are concerned about the bad publicity that the ANC will get as a result of the march.

“Remember there are departments under administration and we are being investigated left right and centre.

“A march against the ANC by the ANCYL is the last thing they want. It’s like the ANC rising up against the ANC.”

The league was due to march today to hand over a memorandum of demands including:

» The resignation of education MEC Dickson Masemola

» The employment of enough teachers

» The payment of schools grants

» The speedy implementation of the grades 1, 2, 3 and 10 catch-up plan

» Free marks for the first and second quarters for all students who were affected by the lack of books.

The youth league’s spokesperson in the province, Klaas Mabunda, said: “The ANC asked us to cancel and the reason is that the issues we are raising in our memorandum are being discussed by our leaders.

“It was going to be embarrassing for us to engage in a march while our leaders are seeking solutions to our issues.”

The league, said Mabunda, was shelving all the issues contained in the memorandum, except the resignation of Masemola.

“We are shelving all our plans until they give us a response which will hopefully be on Monday. They said we should seek political solutions to political problems. If they don’t give us satisfactory answers we will continue with the march,” he said.

Masemola, the party’s deputy chairperson in Limpopo, recently fell out of favour with the youth league because of his perceived close relationship with President Jacob Zuma.

The league wants Zuma to be replaced with deputy president Kgalema Motlanthe during the party’s elective conference in Mangaung in December.

A counter march which had been organised by a different faction of the Youth League, to call for the resignation of Premier Cassel Mathale, was postponed.

Organiser Boy Mamabolo said the march would take place at a later stage.

“We will announce the date of the march in due course. We are not cancelling it, we are just rescheduling,” he said.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/Sport
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.