Kenya denies bail to four charged over mall massacre

2013-12-04 13:33

Nairobi – A Kenyan court has denied bail to four men facing trial in connection with Kenya’s Westgate shopping centre massacre in September, in which at least 67 people were killed.

Magistrate Kiarie Waweru Kiarie today told the accused in court in Nairobi their bail applications had been rejected because of “security concerns”.

The four, Adan Mohamed Abidkadir Adan, Mohammed Ahmed Abdi, Liban Abdullah Omar and Hussein Hassan Mustafa have all pleaded not guilty to charges of supporting a terrorist group.

They also face charges of entering Kenya illegally and obtaining false identification documents.

All the gunmen in the Westgate siege – totalling just four, not the dozen that security forces initially reported – are understood to have died during the attack.

The four-day attack in the upmarket shopping centre was claimed by Somalia’s al-Qaeda-linked al-Shebab. They said it was a warning to Kenya to pull its troops out of southern Somalia, where they are fighting the extremists as part of an African Union force.

Interpol and the US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) have been assisting Kenya in trying to identify four bodies believed to be those of the attackers.

Two of the gunmen – who the four are accused of supporting – are named in court documents as Mohammed Abdinur Said and Hassan Abdi Dhuhulow, a 23-year-old Somali who spent time in Norway.

Like the attackers, the four suspects are all ethnic Somalis, but it is unclear whether they are Somali or Kenyan citizens.

The four are due to appear in court for a hearing on December 18, but their trial is not expected to begin in earnest until mid-January.

Western sources familiar with the investigation suggest the evidence concerning the suspects is credible enough to warrant a trial.

Witnesses in the shopping centre described how the fighters stormed the crowded complex, firing from the hip and hurling grenades at shoppers and staff.

Kenya’s Red Cross say that at least 20 more people are still missing, with Western officials suggesting that as many as 94 could have died in total in the attack, with some victims still potentially remaining under tons of rubble after part of the mall’s roof collapsed at the end of the raid.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.