Korkie family will use donations for a ‘fresh start’

2014-12-20 11:07

The R1.7 million that was raised to help kidnap victim Pierre Korkie and his family after his expected release in Yemen, will now assist his widow and children start afresh.

“It’s Yolande and the two kids [left] and they have to make a fresh start,” family spokesperson Daan Nortier said today.

“A trust has been created to give it [the money] a new life.”

Korkie and American photographer Luke Somers were killed during an attempt by US special forces to free them from their al-Qaeda captors in Yemen on December 6.

At the time, the South African charity, the Gift of the Givers had already negotiated his imminent release.

Korkie and Yolande were kidnapped by al-Qaeda militants in Taiz, Yemen, last May. Yolande was released on January 10 and returned to South Africa on January 13.

Previously, the kidnappers had demanded a $3 million (about R32.5m) ransom in exchange for Korkie’s safe return.

However, Nortjie said today that, according to the final agreement that Gift of the Givers had reached with his captors, the money raised in South Africa had not been needed to secure his freedom.

“[The R1.7 million] was not a ransom to negotiate the release.”

Instead, he said, the donations had always been allocated to assist with Pierre Korkie’s return and the family’s resettlement in South Africa – since the family had previously been based in Yemen.

Nortier said that the money had already been sent to Yemen before Korkie was killed, but that it was now available for the family in South Africa.

The family’s spokesperson said that Yolande, son Pieter-Ben, age 17, and fifteen-year-old daughter Lize-Marie, were still in “terrible shock” but were being supported with “vast love ... from all over”.

“Yolande is a woman of faith and she is being borne by her faith,” he said.

At the time of the kidnapping, Korkie was a teacher in Yemen, while his wife did relief work in hospitals.

Korkie’s body was repatriated back to South Africa earlier this month.

The family subsequently held a memorial service in Bloemfontein, before he was buried in a private ceremony.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.