Lonmin denies collusion with government

2012-10-24 06:47

Lonmin has denied claims that it colluded with the police and the government in the days before the Marikana mine shooting.

“Lonmin’s action to engage with appropriate authorities of the state was simply part of a process aimed at achieving normality,” the company said in a statement today.

“Lonmin is a mining company and is not responsible for law enforcement.”

The platinum miner was responding to arguments heard yesterday at the Farlam inquiry, which is investigating the August 16 shooting at Lonmin’s Marikana mine.

The company said it wanted to communicate with the government to ensure it understood the company’s view of the situation, to ensure a peaceful resolution of the matter.

Advocate Dali Mpofu, representing the miners injured and arrested after the shooting, told the inquiry of an e-mail in which ANC heavyweight and Lonmin board member Cyril Ramaphosa strongly condemned the protests, described them as criminal acts and suggested “concomitant action”.

“This (e-mail) was (sent) on 15 August at 2.58pm, exactly 24 hours before the people were mowed down on that mountain,” said Mpofu.

“We have e-mails that were being exchanged between Lonmin management, government ministers (of mineral resources and the police), and at the centre is a gentleman called Cyril Ramaphosa,” he said.

“He advanced that what was taking place were criminal acts and must be characterised as such.”

Mpofu said the e-mail was addressed to a certain “dear Albert of Lonmin”.

He said evidence would be led to discredit claims that the shootings were spontaneous acts committed in self-defence by police officers.

One of the causes of the Marikana tragedy was a “toxic collusion between the state and capital”, he said.

“The main causes of the massacre are the SA Police Service (SAPS), other agencies of government, and Lonmin. The people I represent here seek the truth for themselves and their colleagues who passed away.”

Mpofu described the actions of the police as “murder and extra-judicial killings”.

The police opened fire while trying to disperse a group of strikers encamped on a hill in Nkaneng, killing 34 and wounding 78 on August 16.

The workers had been carrying knobkerries, pangas, sticks and iron rods.

They went on strike on August 10, demanding a monthly salary of R12 500.

Within four days, 10 people had been killed, two of them policemen and two of them security guards.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.