Looting of foreign-owned shops in PE unacceptable – MEC

2013-09-17 14:59

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Looting foreign-owned shops and related violence in Nelson Mandela Bay metro is unacceptable, Eastern Cape safety MEC Helen Sauls-August has said.

She condemned the violence, which started after a foreign shop owner allegedly shot dead a man outside his shop in New Brighton on Saturday. The shop owner has since been arrested.

The alleged shooting over the weekend could not be condoned, but people should not become criminals by engaging in vigilante attacks on foreign nationals in the metro.

Sauls-August said residents should allow police to do their work and arrest those involved in any form of violence. No one should break the law by attacking other people or destroying property.

Community-based structures were encouraged to resolve differences between locals and foreigners to restore peace and order in the area.

“Those who retaliate on the incident (at) the weekend, where a person was shot dead, will not be spared from facing the might of the law,” she said.

Earlier yesterday, Eastern Cape police said 70 people had been arrested for looting and public violence.

Brigadier Marinda Mills said the situation was “tense but stable” this morning after sporadic looting of shops owned by immigrants last night.

Looting was reported in Kwadwesi, Missionvale, Swartkops, New Brighton, and Motherwell.

“During our interaction with affected communities, it was clear that the motive for the attacks on foreign-owned spaza shops (was) not xenophobic in nature, but a criminal element that has seized an opportunity,” Mills said.

Looting was considered public violence, which was a schedule-one offence under the Criminal Procedure Act.

It was difficult for police to prevent looting, as it was hard to predict when and where it would occur.

“Most of the foreign shop owners have been assisted to relocate their property to safer locations,” said Mills.

“A high police presence and visibility is maintained in all the townships in the Nelson Mandela metro, and police stations have been put on high alert to ensure a quick response and, as far as possible, the immediate arrest of perpetrators.”

She said residents in the areas had told the police they had no problem working and living with immigrants, and that many had helped them during the attacks.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.