Marikana relived at inquiry tomorrow

2012-09-29 19:14

Memories of August 16, the bloody day on which 34 mine workers were shot dead by ­police, will be relived tomorrow when the Marikana Commission of Inquiry visits the site of the shooting.

This is the first of various steps the commission – ­appointed by President Jacob Zuma – will take to unravel the truth about what happened ­during the bloody strike that left 44 people dead.

The final death toll, however, has risen to 46.

But the deaths of National ­Union of Mineworkers (NUM) shop steward Dumisani Mthinti, who was hacked to death, and ANC councillor Paulinah Masutlo, who died after being shot with a rubber bullet, fall outside the commission’s terms of ­reference.

The commission will begin at the Rustenburg Civic Centre from tomorrow.

The morning session is ­expected to be followed by a ­visit to the site where the shooting took place.

Other sites expected to be ­visited by the commission ­include the Wonderkop hill, mine shafts, the informal and formal settlements of Marikana and surrounding areas where the miners live, as well as any other site about which evidence is likely to be led.

The commission has been mandated to determine the roles played by Lonmin, the ­police, the Association of ­Mineworkers and Construction Union (Amcu) and the NUM in the lead up to, during and after the shooting.

“It is further expected in the execution of its functions to ­determine whether any of the role- players mentioned above could have done or put measures in place to prevent the sad turn of events,” the department of ­justice said in a statement.

The commission is further ­required to submit interim ­reports and recommendations to Zuma every month prior to the final report being presented to him.

The commission will have to submit its first interim report on or before October 12.

Retired judge Ian Farlam will chair the commission.

He will be assisted by advocates Mbuyiseli Madlanga, Matthew Chaskalson and Geoff Budlender – all of whom are ­senior counsel – and evidence will be led by Johannes Nxusana and Charles Wessley.

The Socio-Economic Rights Institute of SA said it had been instructed to represent Amcu and the families of 19 of the ­deceased.

The inquiry will cost the government more than R70 million in the next four months.


Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.