Mbalula still wants 2020 Olympic bid

2011-06-14 14:38

South Africa’s sport minister said today that he still wants the country to bid for the 2020 Olympic Games, despite a Cabinet decision last month to instead spend money on services for the poor.

Fikile Mbalula said he hopes to convince his colleagues in President Jacob Zuma’s Cabinet to revisit plans for an Olympic bid, which the government vetoed after estimating it would cost $50 million (R338 million).

“The bidding process is quite open. If we’re able to persuade government otherwise and turn around things, then we’ll still be able to announce (a bid),” Mbalula told journalists.

Mbalula collapsed at the May 25 Cabinet meeting where plans for a bid were scrapped and was later hospitalised with what the government described as “flu-like” symptoms.

But he said today: “From our own point of view, the struggle continues. It’s not all lost.”

Mbalula was speaking at a briefing on preparations for a meeting of the International Olympic Committee next month in the eastern port city of Durban, where the host city for the 2018 Winter Olympics will be announced.

Durban had been tipped as a likely bidder for the 2020 summer games after winning praise as a host city during the football World Cup last year.

But the South African government said it would rather spend money creating jobs and improving services like water and electricity.

“If any money is going to be spent, it’s going to be on basic service delivery,” government spokesperson Jimmy Manyi said.

South Africa poured $5 billion (R33.8 billion) into the first World Cup in Africa and largely overcame fears about crime and poor transportation to host a widely applauded tournament.

But the country struggles to provide basic services and faces a 25% unemployment rate, issues that have sparked major protests in poor communities in recent years.

Cape Town sought in 1997 to become the first African host of the Olympics, but when it failed to win the 2004 games the country turned its focus to the World Cup.

Candidates for 2020 must submit their bids to the IOC by September 1. The host city will be chosen in Buenos Aires in September 2013.

Doha, Istanbul, Rome, Tokyo and South Korea’s Busan have all shown interest in hosting the event. 

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.