Mobile TV licences awarded

2010-09-10 10:07

Etv and MultiChoice have been awarded licences to provide mobile TV, the Independent Communications Authority of SA (Icasa) said today.

“Etv and MultiChoice did not have other competing bidders with respect to the multiplexes they applied for. As a result, the authority has decided to grant the licences to etv and MultiChoice,” Icasa chairperson Stephen Mncube told reporters in Johannesburg.

Icasa initially aimed to have the digital video broadcasting service ready for the Soccer World Cup, thus enabling South Africans to watch matches on their cellphones.

Icasa missed their deadline and an invitation to apply was sent out this April. Four applications were received from MultiChoice, Mobile TV Consortium, Super 5 Media and etv.

The first three applicants were disqualified for failing to comply with the preliminary requirements of the invitation and mobile TV regulations.

Etv applied for 40% capacity of the frequency. A second invitation was sent out this May for the remaining 60%.

Two applications were received from MultiChoice and Super 5 Media.

“Unfortunately, Super 5 Media withdrew its application,” Mncube said.

Icasa councillor Robert Nkuna said if everything went according to plan the services would be available to the public within 12 months.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.