Mourinho blames Moyes for Rooney saga

2013-08-26 13:01

London – Jose Mourinho has claimed Chelsea only moved to sign Wayne Rooney because Manchester United manager David Moyes suggested the striker was no longer his first choice.

Mourinho and his Chelsea team head to Old Trafford to face United later today with the transfer saga surrounding Rooney still unresolved.

The Blues boss has already had two bids of up to £25 million (R399 million) turned down, but he plans to return with a third offer for the England forward after today’s Premier League clash, despite being told the former Everton star is not for sale.

Mourinho, asked if his attempts to sign Rooney would spark an angry response from the Old Trafford crowd, made it clear he believes Moyes is the one who provoked the situation by admitting in preseason that he sees Robin van Persie as his number one striker.

“Why? They (the United fans) are against me?” Mourinho said. “But I didn’t say (to Rooney) you will be a second choice for me. And they are against me?

“We are trying to get a player that the manager told ‘you will be a second option’. We are not going for (Robin) van Persie.

“They don’t have to be against me. If I say Ramires is a second option for me and he plays when (Frank) Lampard is tired or injured, if somebody comes here to get Ramires, nobody is upset.”

Asked if Moyes is culpable for the Rooney situation, Mourinho replied: “Of course.”

If Mourinho, who yesterday agreed a deal to sign Brazilian playmaker Willian from Anzhi Makhachkala, can prise Rooney from United by the September 2 close of the transfer window, it would be a significant coup.

It would also force one of Chelsea’s existing three strikers – Fernando Torres, Romelu Lukaku and Demba Ba – to seek a new club, with Mourinho conceding he may have to off-load players to make room for the new arrivals

“I told the players that I want a squad of 22 (players),” he said.

“They are professionals. They want to stay. But they know that, if somebody’s coming, it will be hard because, normally, somebody has to leave.”

Mourinho also responded to suggestions that Chelsea’s pursuit of Willian was a personal vendetta with Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas, who had been on the verge of signing the player before his fellow Portuguese stepped in at the last minute.

Villas-Boas worked as a member of Mourinho’s backroom staff at Porto, Chelsea and Inter Milan before leaving to start his own managerial career and it was claimed the pair were no longer on good terms.

But Mourinho said: “No, no way. Purely business.”

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.