News Corp. board backs Murdoch after hacking scandal

2011-08-11 09:44

San Francisco – Rupert Murdoch won boardroom backing to remain at the helm of News Corp as he worked to shift attention from the phone-hacking scandal to his media behemoth’s healthy bottom line.

“The job won’t be open in the near future,” the 80-year-old media mogul quipped when asked during an earnings conference call whether the board was considering replacing him as head of the global operation.

“The board and I believe I should continue in my current role of chairperson and chief executive,” he contended. “But make no mistake, (chief operating officer) Chase Carey and I run this company as a team.”

Along with boasting about its latest earnings figures and its prospects in the months ahead, News Corp raised its dividend for the first time in two years.

Although net income for the fourth fiscal quarter fell 22% to $683 million (nearly R4.9 billion), News Corp finished the year with profits amounting to $2.74 billion, a rise of 7.9% compared to last year.

Fourth-quarter profit was eroded by a $254 million loss attributed to faded social networking website MySpace, but the company still beat Wall Street expectations.

News Corp sold MySpace, the social network which it bought in 2005 for $580 million, during the quarter for a paltry $35 million, bringing the curtain down on Murdoch’s tie-up with the one-time social networking star.

The quarter was also being compared to the same period last year, when 3D film sensation Avatar caused a windfall, according to executives.

News Corp, which owns the Fox TV network and The Wall Street Journal in addition to a host of worldwide newspaper, internet, broadcast and cable television interests, is grappling with the biggest crisis in its history.

A phone-hacking scandal in Britain has mushroomed into a full-blown public relations nightmare for the media and entertainment colossus.

Murdoch said the company was “cooperating with all investigations”, indicating for the first time that the probe may be widening to other News Corp operations.

“While it has been a good quarter from a financial point of view, our company has faced challenges in recent weeks relating to our London tabloid, News of the World,” Murdoch said.

“We are acting decisively in the matter and will do whatever is necessary to prevent something like this from ever occurring again.”

During the tumultuous quarter, News Corp closed the 168-year-old News of the World and abandoned its bid for full control of British pay television giant BSkyB.

The quarter also saw the resignations of trusted Murdoch aides Rebekah Brooks, a former News of the World editor, and Les Hinton, chief executive of News Corp’s Dow Jones unit, which publishes The Wall Street Journal.

Brooks was editor of the News of the World from 2000-2003, when reporters at the newspaper allegedly hacked the phone of murdered teenager Milly Dowler – the claim that sparked the crisis and led to the closure of the tabloid.

“I’ve run this company for more than 50 years; the kind of behaviour that happened in that newsroom has no place in News Corp,” Murdoch said.

News Corp shares have lost more than 20% of their value since the first reports in early July that phone-hacking victims in Britain included Dowler.

“It is important to note that there has been no material impact on our operations” Murdoch said of the scandal. “Our global business is robust.”

News Corp stock slid nearly six percent Wednesday but rose a fraction of a percent to $13.83 in trading after release of the earnings results.

Company executives said that abandoning the bid for BSkyB freed up $5 billion to buy back the corporation’s “woefully undervalued” stock.

News Corp told financial analysts that savings from selling money-losing MySpace were likely to be offset by the lack of revenue from News of the World.

The company planned no major acquisitions with its ample operating cash reserves, saying that it preferred “to build rather than buy businesses”.

News Corp. expected its cable television business, which accounted for more than half its revenue in the past year, to keep flourishing.

The company intended to expand its offerings in the digital space, where its content was “getting tremendous uptake not just on the iPad but on the Kindle,” according to Murdoch.

“I am feeling very confident,” he said.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.