Old Generations vows to stop soapie

2015-01-18 15:00

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The “Generations 16” are still going to court to halt the airing of the soapie that replaced them, insists their lawyer.

Bulelani Mzamo last week said the actors, who were sacked last August, would file an urgent application at the South Gauteng High Court on Tuesday if the SABC didn’t stop screening Generations The Legacy.

But the show went on and there was no appearance in court.

Mzamo said that getting all 16 actors in one room to sign an affidavit for an urgent application had proved difficult.

Furthermore, new supporters have come forward, he said. Mzamo is now collecting their affidavits to bolster the case before approaching the court.

“We have decided to wait,” he said.

Mzamo told City Press: “There are other parties from various institutions who took part in the intervention process after the actors’ contracts were terminated in August last year.

“The same people have volunteered to provide us with affidavits to support the court application.”

The court action is the culmination of a process that began with a letter of demand the actors delivered to the SABC and Generations creator Mfundi Vundla’s MMSV Productions in December.

The “intervention process” Mzamo referred to was an urgent meeting called by Arts and Culture Minister Nathi Mthethwa last August. Also present were Communications Minister Faith Muthambi, Trade and Industry Minister Rob Davies and Labour Minister Mildred Oliphant.

Vundla did not attend the meeting.

Mzamo would not comment on whether the Cabinet ministers were among those who would provide affidavits supporting the actors’ court bid.

He said the problem of getting all 16 actors together had been tackled, too.

“Now, all the actors are available to sign and we just want to do a one-off application. We should be filing with the high court before month’s end.

“Nothing will stop us from removing the ‘new’ show from our TV screens.”

Vundla and the SABC have told City Press that Generations The Legacy will continue to air at 8pm on weekdays.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.