Parents of slain black teen seek US federal probe

2012-04-03 07:05

The family of an unarmed black teen shot dead by a neighbourhood watch guard in February asked US federal officials to probe “suspicious” actions by Florida officials on the night of the shooting.

The attorney for the family of Trayvon Martin, Benjamin Crump, sent a letter to the US Justice Department urging it to review the role of Florida State Attorney Norm Wolfinger, who has since recused himself from the case.

Neighbourhood watch captain George Zimmerman, a white Hispanic, fatally shot 17-year-old Martin inside a gated community in the Florida town of Sanford on February 26.

Zimmerman has said he acted in self-defence after Martin punched him in the nose, knocked him down and slammed his head into the ground.

The case has unleashed a national uproar over race relations and the right to self-defence in the United States.

Sanford police applied for a warrant to arrest Zimmerman in the early stages of the investigation, local media including The Miami Herald reported. Prosecutors however held off approving the warrant, pending further review.

Crump said he believes that Wolfinger met Sanford police chief Lee on the night of the shooting and overruled the recommendation of a homicide investigator to charge Zimmerman with manslaughter.

Crump wrote that he wants federal officials to investigate “the suspicious circumstances surrounding this meeting, and the decision to disregard the recommendation of the lead homicide investigator”.

Wolfinger recused himself from the case two weeks ago, and Florida’s governor assigned a special prosecutor to investigate the case.

Since Martin’s death, there have been numerous large public protests calling for Zimmerman’s arrest, but there have been no detention orders and the 28-year-old has gone into hiding, fearing for his life.

A controversial Florida law allows the use of deadly force when a person has a reasonable fear of death or serious injury – which Zimmerman, through surrogates interviewed in the media, has said was the case when he shot Martin.

A surveillance video that ABC News released last week showed Zimmerman handcuffed at the police station after the shooting, but with no apparent signs of serious injury.

However, enhanced footage of the same video that aired on Monday shows evidence of an injury to the back of Zimmerman’s head.

The state of Florida on April 10 will take the case to a grand jury, which will then say if there is enough evidence to indict Zimmerman.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.