Parties close Please Call Me case

2013-08-09 08:16

Lawyers closed their case in the civil claim involving Vodacom’s Please Call Me service in the High Court in Johannesburg.

Cedric Puckrin SC, for former Vodacom employee Nkosana Makate, and Fanie Cilliers SC, for the cellphone operator, both indicated yesterday they would not call any more witnesses.

Judge Phillip Coppin instructed them to indicate the dates they would be available next week, so he could set a date for closing arguments, which would probably take place in September.

Makate took Vodacom to court to get compensation for the Please Call Me service he claims he invented in 2000. He said the executive for product development at the time, Philip Geissler, promised in an oral agreement to facilitate remuneration negotiations with the company.

Makate was called to the stand yesterday to clarify the existence of a letter of demand his lawyers wrote to Vodacom, dated March 12 2008.

Cilliers questioned its authenticity after it emerged in court the letter was not delivered.

Makate admitted he had been wrong to assume the letter was delivered, and said he not confirmed delivery with his attorneys at the time. He said he had seen the letter only once or twice before the case came to court.

“I found out this week that the assumption was wrong... If you read the letter, there is legal jargon there that the layman like me would not understand, so you just have to trust your counsel.”

Earlier, Makate’s original attorney in the case, Popo Masilo, who served a letter of demand on Vodacom on January 19 2008, testified that he hand delivered the letter.

Masilo said the first letter, dated March 12 2008, was a draft and was not delivered to Vodacom.

“After receiving the reply letter from Vodacom [on February 14 2008], it was clear that Vodacom was not willing to negotiate and we decided to rather continue serving them with a summons instead,” Masilo said.

According to the letter, Vodacom had until March 31, 2008, to respond or Makate would “rescind” his contract with the company by April 11 2008, at 4pm.

Makate said in court that he did not know what the word rescind meant, and would not have agreed to send a letter of demand rescinding the agreement with Vodacom.

On Wednesday, former Vodacom CEO Alan Knott-Craig testified that the notion of an employee seeking compensation for an idea was foreign to him. He said Vodacom had not had a revenue-sharing agreement with its employees.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.