Philippines sends coffins as toll nears 1 000 dead

2011-12-20 09:25

Iligan – The Philippine government shipped more than 400 coffins to two flood-stricken cities where the death toll neared 1 000.

President Benigno Aquino III yesterday declared a state of national calamity and relief agencies rushed to help.

The latest count listed 957 dead and 49 missing and is set to climb further as additional bodies are being recovered from the sea and mud in Iligan and Cagayan de Oro cities.

A handful of morgues are overwhelmed and running out of coffins and formaldehyde for embalming. Aid workers appealed for bottled water, blankets, tents and clothes for many of 45 000 displaced in crowded evacuation centres.

Navy sailors in Manila loaded a ship with 437 white, wooden coffins to help local authorities handle the staggering number of dead. Also on the way were containers with thousands of water bottles.

Most of the dead were women and children who drowned Friday night when flash floods triggered by a tropical storm gushed into homes while people were asleep.

Aquino, on a visit to Cagayan de Oro today, said the national calamity declaration will help local authorities gain quick access to recovery funds and keep prices of basic goods stable.

“Our national government will do its best to prevent a repeat of this tragedy,” Aquino told residents who came out to greet him.

He said there would be an assessment of what went wrong and why so many people died, if there was ample warning that a storm would sweep through the area and why people living along riverbanks and close to the coast had not been moved to safety.

“I do not accept that everything had been done. I know that we can do more. We must determine what really happened,” Aquino said. “Must this end in tragedy? We knew that storm was coming. There should have been efforts to avoid the destruction.”

The UN food agency flew in three tons of high-protein biscuits together with water tanks, blankets, tarpaulins and tents for some 75 000 people. Shortage of water was still a major problem in the two cities.

In New York, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon expressed concerned about the flooding, UN deputy spokesperson Farhan Haq said.

“The United Nations and its partners stand ready to support the government in responding to this disaster,” Haq added.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/Sport

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.