Picture leak doesn’t compromise Oscar Pistorius case – NPA

2013-06-04 12:03

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Investigations into the murder charge against paralympian Oscar Pistorius are not prejudiced by the publishing of crime-scene photos in the media, a National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) official has said.

NPA spokesperson Medupe Simasiku said today the investigation was at a sensitive stage and would be wrapped up before August.

“We are satisfied with the progress (of the investigation) and everything that has been done. We want to see this case going forward fair and square,” he said.

“I am not prepared to comment regarding the leak that we don’t know of. We don’t have knowledge of any leaks. We believe that whatever is out there is not part of the system.”

He said the evidence collected by police at the crime scene was adequately secured. In the event that the evidence was leaked, firm action would be taken.

“Should there be anything which affects the progress of the case, we will deal with it accordingly. We are not in a position to make statements on something which is not there yet,” he said.

The NPA would not be taking action against SkyNews. On Friday, the broadcaster posted pictures purportedly showing the scene where model Reeva Steenkamp was shot dead.

At the time, national police spokesperson Brigadier Phuti Setati said police could not comment on the photographs, because they did not know how they came to be in SkyNews’ possession.

“We don’t want to be distracted by these deliberate tactics. All we want to do is secure a conviction, so we are working throughout and investigating professionally,” said Setati.

Acting Magistrate Daniel Thulare postponed Pistorius’ case to August 19.

“Mr Pistorius, the matter against you has been postponed for further investigation,” he said.

“Yes your honour,” replied Pistorius.

His bodyguards guided him out of the building and more than 10 police officers helped as Pistorius was whisked away in a silver Fortuner, which had been idling on the busy Francis Baard Street adjacent to the court entrance.

Some journalists fell in the ensuing push and shove to get closer to the paralympian outside the court.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.