Police arrest striking Carletonville miners

2012-10-17 15:20

Carletonville police have arrested 12 striking Anglo Gold Ashanti mineworkers since Friday, the workers’ representatives claim.

Anglo Gold Ashanti strike committee member Solly Malejane was arrested on Monday for allegedly inciting violence.

On Friday, six workers were arrested and were given free bail on Monday.

The six are due to appear at the Fochville Magistrates’ Court on November 16.

On Saturday, another five workers were arrested but are still in custody as they could not afford their bail, set between R500 and R1 000.

Saturday’s group was arrested for public violence.

Anglo Gold Ashanti workers have been on strike since September 25.

Anglo Gold Ashanti winch operator Nelson Nkosi, who works at one of the world’s deepest mines, Mponeng, told City Press he earned R4 700 a month after deductions, with which he said he could not afford to send his children to school.

Last year, the company’s chief executive Mark Cutifani was paid about R28 million including a R12.6 million basic salary, a performance bonus of R8.3 million and R4.6 million for health care, retention payments and personal travel.

In 2010, Cutifani earned R22.4 million, including a R11.4 million basic salary, an R8.5 million performance bonus and R2.1 million in pension scheme benefits.

This means Nkosi’s R56 400 annual salary is about 500 times less than Cutifani’s 2011 pay.

Carletonville police spokesperson Sergeant Busi Menoe referred enquiries to her provincial counterpart, Brigadier Neville Malila, who said he knew of 72 Goldfields miners arrested in Westonaria on Friday.

They were arrested following an illegal march to the Westonaria police station.

The group appeared at the Westonaria Magistrates’ Court on Monday and 13 were released as they could not be linked to the crime, according to Malila.

The remaining mineworkers face charges of public violence and malicious damage to property.
Their case was postponed to October 24.

Another 12 mineworkers will appear at the Pretoria Magistrates’ Court on October 22 for a formal bail application.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.