SABC news bulletin extended to an hour

2013-03-30 12:58

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

SABC has announced that its prime time English news bulletin on SABC3 will be extended from half an hour to an hour from April 1. Instead of starting at 7pm the news will now start at 6.30pm and run until 7.30pm.

The public broadcaster says that it has made the decision in response to feedback from viewers, who asked for more in-depth news coverage when canvassed during the Make Your Voices Heard campaign in August last year.

“Following this engagement, the results indicated that, among other things, our viewers felt that our television news broadcasts were too short. In order to address this issue, a decision was taken to extend the English news bulletin to one hour,” SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago said.

The scheduled 6.30pm shows on the channel, generally repeats of American and local sitcoms, will be moved to SABC1 to accommodate the longer bulletins.

Kganyago says that there are no plans to rebrand the SABC3 news nor to bring in new presenters.

“Other aspects of viewer feedback will be phased in over time,” he said. “This was a change we could implement quite quickly.”

The extended bulletin will allow for more focus on provincial news, said Hlaudi Motsoeneng, the SABC’s acting COO, in a statement.

“As a public service broadcaster, our various programming has to continuously reflect the needs and wants of our audiences. This decision was not taken lightly and we are cognisant of the fact that more work needs to be done, and this is but one step in that direction,” Motsoeneng said.

The Make Your Voices Heard campaign was initiated in line with the broadcaster’s licence agreement, which calls for regular audience feedback. Media responded cynically to it as SABC had not undertaken such campaigns in several years. Viewers have, in the past five years, been particularly vocal about the number of repeats being screened on SABC channels.

Now Motsoeneng is hoping to turn public perception around: “We want the people to know that this is their SABC, and their opinion and input are highly valued and we will continue to engage them on various issues regarding the corporation.”

Embattled SABC CEO Lulama Makhobo will launch the new bulletin on Monday.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/Sport

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.