Saddam’s former deputy surfaces in audio recording

2011-11-11 09:07

Baghdad – A man identified as Izzat Ibrahim al-Douri, Saddam Hussein’s former deputy, criticised a recent arrest campaign against Baathists and denied they had plotted against the Iraqi government.

Syria-based Arrai television aired yesterday an audio tape of a man it identified as Douri, the head of Saddam’s banned Baath Party and the highest-ranking member of Saddam’s regime still at large.

There was no independent confirmation of the speaker’s identity.

Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki’s government launched an arrest campaign last month against Baathists and former military officers who allegedly plotted to oust the government when US troops depart by year-end.

Maliki said more than 600 people had been arrested on evidence that they sought to undermine security in Iraq.

“The claim of the government that Baathists have a conspiracy, or would attempt a coup, is a lie,” the man identified as Douri said. “It is a part of their de-Baathification project.”

Baathists were banned from participating in politics after the 2003 invasion that toppled Saddam after 24 years in power.

The man said the government had arrested more than 900 people, targeting those on a list of thousands of names that originated with Iran’s Quds force, the covert operations arm of Iran’s powerful Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.

He also hailed the imminent withdrawal of American troops from Iraq.

“We are at the doors of a victory in which America, the master of evil, is running away from Iraq dragging the tail of failure and defeat,” he said, saying repeatedly that he was speaking from southern Iraq’s Wasit province.

Douri served as deputy head of Iraq’s Revolutionary Command Council under Saddam.

He took over the Baath Party leadership after Saddam’s execution in December 2006. Led by Saddam from 1979-2003, the Baath Party brutally oppressed Iraq’s Shi’ites and Kurds.

Douri has seldom surfaced since the 2003 invasion. In a statement posted on a Baath Party website in August 2009, he called on Iraqi insurgent groups to move into politics, suggesting a shift away from armed resistance.

He was ranked sixth on the US military’s list of 55 most wanted Iraqis and a $10 million (R80 million) reward was offered for his capture. US officials accused him of helping lead the Sunni insurgency that erupted after the invasion.

The US still has about 30 000 troops in Iraq. They are scheduled to leave by December 31 under a 2008 security pact between the two countries.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.