Sardine frenzy continues

2010-07-27 11:39

The sardine frenzy continued into its second week today as netters flocked to the Durban beachfront with crates ready in hand.

About 400 baskets of the “greatest shoal on Earth” had been netted yesterday, with some describing it as one of the busiest days since the Sardine Run began last Monday.

KwaZulu-Natal Sharks board operations head Mike Anderson-Reade said: “Yesterday and Sunday was the busiest and we expect Durban to produce very well today also. The beachfront area and promenade has been a hive of activity and everyone is joining in. It’s a hell of a lot of fun and Durban is handling it extremely well.”

The weekend was not so busy though, with only ten baskets netted at Addington beach.

Prices of baskets varied in different regions and held an average tag of R300.

“Dozens of people can be seen along freeways selling off the fish.”

Anderson-Read said sardine activity over the next few days would stretch from Ballito in the north of Durban to Scottburgh on the province’s south coast.

He said many people had described the 2010 run as the best in 30 years.

“Well, it’s one of the best for Durban but definitely not the South Coast. In the past few years, the South Coast has always got the lion’s share of the fish while Durban did poorly,” he said.

Durban’s last three runs, he recalled, were in 2004, 2005 and 2006. “Since then, it has not been that intense.”

He said he had “no idea” why Durban had done well this year, but jokingly noted that it was not because of the World Cup showdown.

“It was just good luck, I think hey.”

Anderson-Reade, who has been dealing with fish for the past 32 years, said none of the shoals seen this year had beached.

“It’s very seldom that shoals beach. The last time sardines beached was in 1984 on the Wild Coast. Since then, a little had come out near San Lameer but that was it. But now they come close enough for netters to access them.”

The eThekwini municipality had banned bathing and surfing along the coastline during the annual run.

Christo Swart, the city’s head of leisure, said shark nets were removed as a precaution to prevent predators like sharks getting caught in nets while feeding on sardines. 

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.