Schools’ Cup accommodation project hangs in balance

2010-06-18 16:23

The Soweto Focus

Points (SFP),

a schools’ accommodation initiative aimed at World Cup visitors, has

stopped taking

bookings for fear that the provincial education department might obtain

an interdict against it.

This follows the

refusal by the department to endorse the project.

Channon Merricks,

managing director of SFP, started the project to accommodate an estimated 46 000

backpackers and budget travellers during this Soccer World Cup. About 2 300

visitors have been accommodated so far.

When Merricks made a

presentation to the City of Johannesburg regarding the provision of

emergency medical services related to his project, the city required him to

attach a letter from the education department confirming that the department had

agreed to endorse the project.

Boy Ngobeni,

provincial head of department, turned down SFP’s request.

Merricks said he got permission to use the schools from school governing bodies (SGBs) and

the education department based in the Johannesburg central district, which

manages schools in Soweto, Lenasia, Eldorado Park and suburbs in the south of

Johannesburg.

However, the department said it distanced

itself from the above decision as the person who signed the letter did not have

the authority to do so.

Charles Phahlane, the department’s spokesperson

said they wrote a memorandum to schools on March 16 discouraging them from

allowing the project “so that we limit any possible liability or damage to

school facilities”.

He added: “We also wanted school facilities to

be readily available for teaching and learning purposes immediately after the

World Cup.”

Phahlane claimed that Merricks never approached his department.

However, he said that they were not going to shut down the project – that would

be the city’s prerogative.

Meanwhile, SFP has consulted its lawyers.

“We have stopped taking in people for fear that the department

might interdict us, but we have consulted our lawyers to resolve the issue,”

said Merricks.

» On Friday, Phahlane claimed SFP had failed

to comply with the city’s health and safety by-laws. He has since denied saying this. When asked to comment, the Johannesburg Property Company, which

manages property for the city, said it was not aware of any transgressions of

by-laws by the SFP, but that it would investigate the matter.

 

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/Africa
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.