‘Shongwe misleads Balfour residents on municipal demarcation’

2015-03-17 16:15

The Democratic Alliance has called on Mpumalanga safety and security MEC Vusi Shongwe to retract his promise to Balfour residents that their municipality would be demarcated back into Gauteng.

Following a violent protest over the Municipal Demarcation Board’s plans to amalgamate the municipality with Lekwa in Standerton, Shongwe, cooperative governance and traditional affairs MEC Refilwe Mtshweni and telecommunications and postal services minister Siyabonga Cwele visited Siyathemba township near Balfour last week.

Residents had torched mayor Sarah Nhlapho’s house and vandalised the South African Social Security Agency and multipurpose centre offices last Thursday.

Shongwe told the protesters that the ANC’s Mpumalanga provincial executive committee had taken a resolution that Dipaleseng local municipality should be re-demarcated into Gauteng.

President Jacob Zuma made this promise when the community protested in 2010, but it was not kept. The residents wanted to be in Gauteng because they were using its hospital in Heidelberg and they would be closer to their government than they were now under Mpumalanga.

The DA’s Mpumalanga legislature member, Bosman Grobler, said Shongwe misled the community because he had no authority to change municipal boundaries.

“Removing a community from one province and amalgamating it with another province is not simply a cut-and-paste exercise. This process is closely guarded by the Constitution and is likely to require an amendment to the Constitution,” Grobler told the legislature today.

“MEC Shongwe’s promise demonstrates the extent to which the ANC-led government is out of touch with the needs of communities and how false promises are used to disguise their inability to lead,” he added.

Shongwe’s spokesperson, Joseph Mabuza, however said that Cwele made the announcement.

“Cwele communicated the message and the relevant government departments will now process the decision. MEC Shongwe does not interfere there,” Mabuza said.

Community leader and Socialist Civic Movement councillor Dumisani Zwane also confirmed that Shongwe communicated the decision.

“We’re expecting a formal confirmation in writing. This promise is more definite than the previous one because the ANC provincial executive committee has taken a resolution,” Zwane said.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.