Siege may have been preventable, admits Australia’s leader

2014-12-18 06:50

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Australia’s prime minister said today that this week’s deadly siege in a café may have been preventable, as the chorus of critics demanding to know why the gunman was out on bail despite facing a string of violent charges grew louder.

Man Haron Monis, a 50-year-old Iranian-born, self-styled cleric with a lengthy criminal history, burst into a downtown Sydney café on Monday wielding a shotgun and taking 17 people inside hostage. The siege ended 16 hours later when police stormed into the café to free the captives, two of whom were killed in a barrage of gunfire, along with Monis.

“This has been a horrific wake-up call,” Prime Minister Tony Abbott told Macquarie Radio.

“This was an atrocity – it may well have been a preventable atrocity, and that’s why this swift and thorough review is so important.”

Abbott has ordered a sweeping government review of the siege and the events leading up to it, including why Monis was out on bail and how he obtained a shotgun despite the country’s tough gun laws.

Court documents detail Monis’ long history with the law. In 2011, Noleen Hayson Pal – his ex-partner and mother of their two sons – went to police after she said Monis threatened her life. He was subsequently charged with stalking and intimidation intending to cause fear of physical or mental harm.

Pal testified in January 2012 that Monis said to her: “If I don’t get to see the boys more than I am seeing them now, I’ll make sure you pay for it – even if it means I have to shoot you.”

Pal said she feared he would carry through on his threat, noting that he had once told her he had a gun licence. She said he grew increasingly paranoid when “he started getting more into his Islamic activities”, insisting on drawing the blinds and shutting all the doors when he visited her house. She also accused him of slapping their eldest son in the face.

“He’s always saying to me that people are watching, people are hearing our conversations,” she testified.

Monis was ultimately found not guilty of the charge. A year later, Pal was stabbed to death and set on fire.

Police charged Monis’ then-partner, Amirah Droudis, with Pal’s murder, and charged Monis as an accessory. Both were out on bail on the charges when Monis launched his siege on the café on Monday. He was also facing dozens of charges of sexual assault dating back to 2002, and had been granted bail on those charges as well.

Monis was convicted and sentenced last year to 300 hours of community service for sending what a judge called “grossly offensive” letters to families of soldiers killed in Afghanistan between 2007 and 2009.

Just three days before he began his siege, Australia’s highest court refused to hear his appeal of the convictions for sending the letters. The next business day, Monis walked into the café, a short stroll from the courtroom where the ruling was delivered.

“Just like about everyone else from the premier down, I was incredulous and exasperated at this,” Abbott said. “This guy has a long history of violence, a long history of mental instability, he has a long criminal record and obvious infatuation with extremism. It was extraordinary he was on our streets.”

New South Wales Attorney-General Brad Hazzard said he has asked the director of public prosecutions to review all cases where bail has been granted and where there are any similarities to Monis’ case.

Federal Attorney-General George Brandis said it appeared the type of gun Monis used during his siege was banned in Australia, though he said an investigation was needed to confirm that.

Katrina Dawson, a 38-year-old lawyer, and Tori Johnson, the café’s 34-year-old manager, were killed during Monis’ rampage. Officials have not said if they died in crossfire as police stormed in or were shot by their captor. Their autopsies were expected to be completed later today.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.