South Africans spend less electricity on cooking

2013-11-14 17:15

South Africans are spending less electricity on cooking, a survey has found.

“While 98.2% of electrified households used electricity for lighting, the proportion dropped to 84.5% for cooking,” said the General Household Survey on Energy, released today.

“This drop is significant as electricity use for lighting is estimated to account for only about 10% of the energy consumed by poor households, while cooking and space heating is estimated to account for most of the remainder [90%] of the total energy demand.”

The survey shows improvements in the number of households that have access to electricity. Between 2002 and 2012, the percentage of households with access to electricity increased from 77.1% to 85.3%.

There were, however, still over a million South African households that were not connected to the electricity grid by last year.

Over half a million people accessed electricity either informally, or illegally.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.