State under fire in Agliotti trial

2010-10-25 13:09

The state’s handling of the trial of Glenn Agliotti, accused of the murder of businessman Brett Kebble, has again come under fire at the High Court in Johannesburg.

Agliotti’s legal team, led by advocate Lawrence Hodes, said today that Agliotti had been prejudiced by the constant delays in the trial.

This, after the state told the court that its next witness, Roger Kebble (the father of slain mining magnate Brett Kebble), was unable to testify due to a heart condition.

Hodes said that after a nine-week postponement, the state was not ready to proceed. He pointed out that the state also did not provide the defence with a statement from Kebble, a “trend” that “permeated the entire trial”.

“All these arrangements have been made when they don’t even know what he is going to say,” Hodes said.

He added that he was willing to concede to another postponement on condition that the state provide a date when Kebble would be available and on condition that it let the court into its confidence on what evidence he would provide.

Advocate Lethabo Mashiane, part of the prosecution team, told the court that Kebble remained an important witness.

He said allegations were levelled against Kebble during the trial, which he had to answer.

Earlier in the trial, security boss Clinton Nassif testified that Kebble knew that his son Brett was planning an assisted suicide.

Mashiane added that the state did not want to “hold the court to ransom” and would therefore be ready to proceed with the trial.

“The investigating officer can testify ... We are ready to proceed without him [Kebble],” Mashiane told the court.

He added that the state would like Kebble to be examined by state doctors to determine the precise day on which he could testify.

Judge Frans Kgomo adjourned the matter for lunch. The trial resumes at 2pm.

Agliotti is on trial for Brett Kebble’s killing five years ago. He allegedly paid the hit men. He claims it was an “assisted suicide”.

Brett Kebble was shot dead in his car in Melrose, Johannesburg, on the night of September 27 2005.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.