Subpoena’s halt Radovan Krejcir case

2014-05-29 17:09

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

National police commissioner Riah Phiyega and crime intelligence boss Chris Ngcobo have been subpoenaed to produce documents linked to the trial of Czech fugitive Radovan Krejcir.

Forensic investigator Paul O’Sullivan has also been subpoenaed. The three might have to testify if they fail to produce the documents, it emerged today.

They were served the subpoenas on Tuesday, and have to respond by tomorrow, before the trial of Krejcir and five others resumes in the South Gauteng High Court in Johannesburg.

Proceedings came to a halt today when Annelene van den Heever, for Krejcir, said she could not continue her cross-examination of state witness Paul Mthabela until she had received all the documents.

Phiyega was required to produce all documentation that led to her reportedly ordering the arrest of Krejcir and one of his co-accused, Desai Luphondo, in November last year.

Krejcir, Luphondo, warrant officers Samuel Maropeng and George Nthoroane, as well as Jan Lefu Mofokeng and Siboniso Miya face charges of kidnapping, attempted murder and dealing in drugs.

They allegedly kidnapped Bheki Lukhele in a bid to force him to reveal the whereabouts of his brother, known only as Doctor. Doctor, who worked for a cargo company at OR Tambo International Airport, had disappeared with 25kg of tik (methamphetamine), which he had been tasked to transport to Australia, allegedly for Krejcir.

Lukhele testified earlier that he was forcefully taken from his home in Katlehong in June last year, blindfolded, bound, kicked and punched, and had boiling water poured over his head, allegedly by Krejcir.

O’Sullivan has claimed to have helped police construct the case that led to Krejcir’s arrest.

Earlier this week however, police spokesperson Lieutenant-General Solomon Makgale told the Citizen that Krejcir’s arrest happened solely because of police efforts.

The subpoena served on O’Sullivan requires him to produce all documentation linked to his investigation of Krejcir.

His cellphone provider was subpoenaed to provide all his call and text records from June last year to February 2014.

Meanwhile, Krejcir, Siboniso Miya, Zoduma Biyela, Jacob Nare, Nkanyiso Mafunda, police sergeant Nandi Nkosi, and Owen Serero also face charges linked to a conspiracy to kill O’Sullivan and police Colonel Nkosana “Killer” Ximba.

Ximba’s name has repeatedly come up in Krejcir’s current trial.

Peter Vusi Msimango and Mthabela, both state witnesses testifying in exchange for immunity, have claimed to be long-time friends of Ximba.

Van den Heever has issued a subpoena demanding the cellphone records of Ximba, Mthabela and Msimango. Ximba needs to produce his vehicle tracking records and that of his driver.

It was understood that Ngcobo had to produce records taken from tracking devices of the East Rand organised crime unit’s fleet of cars.

He would need to provide information on which of his officers were using them in June last year, when Lukhele was allegedly kidnapped and assaulted.

The court has heard that police officers working with Krejcir used “fancy” vehicles and flashed their police cards to kidnap Lukhele from his home.

The Union Hospital in Alberton, where Lukhele was treated for an injury he sustained at work in 2010, was also served with a subpoena. The hospital’s superintendent was ordered to produce Lukhele’s medical files.

When Lukhele took the stand several days ago, he told the court the injury required that skin from his thigh be grafted onto his arm. It was unclear how medical records supplied by the hospital could affect Krejcir’s case.

Lukhele could, however, be recalled to the stand.

As Mthabela was cross-examined by Van den Heever today, it emerged that he had pending charges against him, which he would not disclose.

He revealed only that Nardus Grove was representing him in that trial.

Grove was in court, representing one of Krejcir’s co-accused, Miya.

Grove and Judge Collin Lamont agreed there was no conflict of interest.

The trial continues tomorrow.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.