‘Sunday rapist’ treated humanely

2012-07-26 10:45

Johannes Jacobus Steyn, dubbed the “Sunday rapist”, was treated humanely by the police, the High Court, sitting in the Palm Ridge Magistrate’s Court in Alberton, has heard.

“I was being human to him,” Constable Quiet Menong told the court.

“He even shook my hand for treating him humanely (when he was handed over at the Krugersdorp police station).”

Steyn is accused of murdering school girls Louise de Waal and Lazanne Farmer.

He is also charged with 11 counts of rape, 10 of sexual assault, 10 of kidnapping, one of attempted sexual assault, one of attempted kidnapping, and two of assault.

Menong was one of the officers who transported Steyn from Margate to Krugersdorp after he handed himself over in October last year.

He testified that Steyn showed no reaction when he heard about his arrest on the radio.

“I looked at him to see his reaction, but he was just quiet.”

Steyn’s lawyer Anton Lerm has asked why his client was arrested on October 13, but only transported to Gauteng the following day.

He has been arguing since yesterday, during a trial within a trial, that his client was forced into making an incriminating statement.

However, Menong said the reason for the delay was that the officers had been working and were tired.

“Everybody was exhausted. We didn’t want to risk being involved in an accident because we were exhausted.”

Lerm alleged police spent the day swimming, braaing and drinking and had told Steyn they had brought guns because there was an order to shoot him on sight.

“Not in my presence, sir,” Menong answered, adding that no one had the power to make such an order.

Lerm said his client was left in the police vehicle at a toll gate en route to Krugersdorp to lure him into escaping, but Steyn had known he would be shot if he did this.

“I was in the vehicle with him at the toll gate. That’s a lie,” Menong said.

Court went into recess for Judge Sita Kolbe to decide if Steyn’s statement, made to a magistrate, would be allowed as evidence.

The 11 girls Steyn allegedly attacked between 2008 and 2011 were all aged between 11 and 18.

The 36-year-old pleaded not guilty to all 37 charges against him on Monday.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.