Suspended BSA boss Mtya faces knockout blow

2011-04-23 16:28

Loyiso Mtya, the suspended acting chief executive of Boxing South Africa (BSA), could be ­dismissed if he does not get ­exonerated.

BSA’s chairperson, Peter ­Ngatane, told a media conference there were two options – exoneration or dismissal.

But Mtya has hit back, saying that he will not go down without a fight.

“I will fight to the bitter end to see to it that justice prevails,” said Mtya, adding that “some board members were aggrieved by ­Ngatane’s decision to suspend him”. He refused to disclose the identities of the members.

Mtya could neither confirm nor deny reports that he had enlisted the services of former BSA chairperson Dali Mpofu, a legal practitioner, to represent him.

Mtya has been the acting CEO for more than 18 months since Bongani Khumalo resigned.

Mtya was suspended indefinitely by Ngatane on Monday for reasons that will be “disclosed at the right time after investigations”.

Contrary to reports that ­Ngatane was a “stooge”, he floored Mtya with a chopping left hook, saying he personally executed the decision as chairperson.
Mtya, he emphasised, will remain suspended on full pay until investigations are through.

“Justice delayed is justice denied, so the matter will be cleared up soon,” announced Ngatane.

Pressed to reveal reasons for his decision, Ngatane eluded the punches like a seasoned boxer.

“Reasons for his suspension cannot be discussed at this stage because the matter is still under investigation.”

According to reports, however, investigations will include alleged ­financial mismanagement by Mtya, with money owed to the SA Revenue Service (SARS) forming the core of the probe.

In the interim, BSA’s financial manager, Tumelo Kekana, will call the shots as acting CEO.

Ngatane pointed out that the ­petite woman “has been doing a sterling job in the background and we are confident that she will do a good job”.

» Meanwhile, it was announced that the one-time disputed national featherweight title fight between ex-inmate Sabelo Jubata and ­challenger Simphiwe Tom will take place.

BSA board member Solly Selebi, who had earlier threatened to strip off Jubata for not “fighting according to the stipulated time”, said the decision was taken for “philanthropic reasons, among others”.

The title fight will be staged by Eyethu Promotions at a venue and date still to be determined. 

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.