Tatane ‘not peaceful, innocent’

2012-04-26 12:49

Ficksburg teacher Andries Tatane was not the peaceful protester and innocent victim he had been made out to be, the Ficksburg Regional Court has heard.

Johann Nel, defence counsel for the seven policemen accused of beating Tatane to death, said Tatane was not a peaceful protester who tried to protect older people during a protest march in the town.

The officers each face murder and assault charges. Tatane was killed on April 13 2011, during a march against poor service delivery.

Cross-examining State witness Phillip Selokoe, Nel questioned his testimony about Tatane.

“You created the perception that Tatane died because he tried to protect two old people against police ... that Tatane was an innocent victim in the incident.” Selokoe confirmed this was the case.

Nel said in a video of the protest, shown to the court yesterday, a discussion could be heard that Tatane tried to enter the municipal building unlawfully.

“Tatane tried to entert?... tried to get the keys of the building and is not the peaceful man you tried to convey to court.”

Nel submitted the video showed Tatane clashed with police and got rid of his shirt himself, while his own people tried to force him away from police.

“Three members of the community were needed to pull him away, that [is how] aggressive he was.”

Before the tea break, Nel submitted Tatane showed police the middle finger after the Meqheleng Concerned Citizens group members got him away. It was submitted that a community member also apologised to police for his actions in the video.

Selokoe told the court the police video showed selective images of the day’s events. He wanted the court to look at a video taken by a resident. The court also looked at an SABC news bulletin of the protest.

After the tea break, Nel put it to Selokoe that nothing he testified to happened in the videos.

He asked Selokoe if he thought the SABC and police were involved in a conspiracy to keep the truth from the world by not showing what he had testified to.

Selokoe said the SABC showed only the main incident to get people to watch its programmes. He testified the police would not show material that would implicate them in wrongdoing.

The case continues.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/Sport

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.