Top Murdoch aide Rebekah Brooks resigns

2011-07-15 13:24

London – Rebekah Brooks, the embattled chief executive of Rupert Murdoch’s British newspaper wing, quit today as the phone hacking scandal forced the once-mighty media baron to sacrifice his cherished aide.

With the firestorm spreading to the United States where an FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation) probe is underway, her departure comes as a fresh blow to Murdoch after he was forced to shut the News of the World tabloid and scrap a buy-out of pay-TV giant BSkyB.

The flame-haired 43-year-old Brooks, a former editor at the News of the World, dubbed Murdoch’s “fifth daughter”, told staff in an internal email that she felt a “deep sense of responsibility for the people we have hurt”.

“I have given Rupert and James Murdoch my resignation. While it has been a subject of discussion, this time my resignation has been accepted,” wrote Brooks, whose offer to resign last week was rejected by Murdoch.

She said her “desire to remain on the bridge has made me a focal point of the debate. This is now detracting attention from all our honest endeavours to fix the problems of the past.”

Brooks will be replaced by New Zealander Tom Mockridge, chief executive of Murdoch-owned satellite broadcaster Sky Italia, who must now restore faith in the mogul’s remaining British newspapers The Sun, Times and Sunday Times.

Prime Minister David Cameron, whose own friendship with Brooks has added to questions in Britain about the links of politicians to Murdoch’s empire, “thinks it is the right decision,” a Downing Street spokesman said.

Australian-born Murdoch’s son and heir apparent, James Murdoch, announced that News International would now run advertisements in all British newspapers to “apologise to the nation for what has happened”.

Murdoch’s closure of the 168-year-old News of the World amid allegations it hacked the phone of a murdered girl and others was seen by many observers as an attempt to save Brooks – if only as a firewall to protect his son.

That was reinforced on Sunday when, having been asked to name his priority, he pointed to Brooks and said: “This one.”

The twice-married Brooks denied all knowledge of hacking during her time as editor of Britain’s biggest selling Sunday newspaper from 2000-2003.

Her resignation ends a meteoric rise, having started as a secretary at the News of World at the age of 20. She went on to edit The Sun, the country’s most popular paper, until 2009.

In the United States, the FBI announced that News Corp employees may have targeted the phone records of victims of the September 11 attacks.

“We are aware of the allegations and we are looking into it,” a spokeswoman from the FBI’s New York office told AFP.

The FBI inquiries are preliminary in nature and do not constitute a formal investigation but US Attorney-General Eric Holder said today that his office was reviewing requests from congressmen for a probe into News Corp.

“There have been serious allegations raised in that regard in Great Britain and there is an ongoing investigation there,” Holder told reporters in Sydney, where he is attending a meeting of justice officials.

But in an interview with his flagship US newspaper, The Wall Street Journal, Murdoch insisted the crisis was being handled “extremely well in every way possible” and angrily denounced criticism made by British lawmakers as “lies”.

Murdoch also said an independent committee led by a “distinguished non-employee” would probe every charge of misconduct made against News Corp.

Murdoch and his son James, the chairman of News International and deputy chief operating officer of News Corp, had both initially resisted being called before a committee of British lawmakers.

But Murdoch told the Journal he wanted to address “some of the things that have been said in parliament, some of which are total lies”. He, James Murdoch and Brooks will all face the committee on Tuesday.

Nine people have been arrested over the scandal so far.

The latest was Neil Wallis, a former deputy editor of the News of the World and one-time editor of another tabloid, the Sunday Mirror.

Wallis (60), had been deputy to Andy Coulson who later went on to become the communications chief to British Prime Minister David Cameron.

As well as embarrassing Cameron, the scandal has also embroiled the police with the revelation that Wallis had been hired by Scotland Yard Chief Paul Stephenson, prompting calls today for the commissioner to quit.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.