UN reports over 500 rapes in eastern DRC

2010-09-08 07:26

The United Nations (UN) reported yesterday that more than 500 systematic rapes were committed by armed combatants in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) since late July – more than double the number previously reported – and accepted partial responsibility for not protecting citizens.

UN Assistant Secretary-General for Peacekeeping Atul Khare told the UN Security Council that at least 267 more rapes occurred in another area of the country’s east, in addition to 242 rapes earlier reported in and around Luvungi, a village of about 2 200 people located about 30km from a UN peacekeepers’ camp.

“While the primary responsibility for protection of civilians lies with the state, its national army and police force,” said Khare, “clearly, we have also failed.

“Our actions were not adequate, resulting in unacceptable brutalisation of the population of the villages in the area.

“We must do better.”

The UN peacekeeping force in DRC, called Monusco, on September 1 launched an operation using 750 troops to back efforts by Congolese security forces to arrest the perpetrators of the attacks, said Khare.

At least 27 rebels armed with automatic rifles have surrendered and at least four more have been arrested, he said.

Meanwhile, Khare said, peacekeepers will undertake more night patrols, and perform more random checks on communities.

The UN is also looking into ways of providing peacekeepers with mobile phones by installing a high frequency radio in Luvungi, he said.

Rape as a weapon of war has become shockingly commonplace in eastern Congo, where the government army and UN peacekeepers have failed to defeat the few thousands rebels responsible for a protracted conflict fuelled by vast mineral reserves.

Luvungi is a farming centre on the main road between Goma, the eastern provincial capital, and the major mining town of Walikale.

Khare told reporters after the council session that over 15 000 rapes were reported in DRC in both 2008 and last year.

Ambassador Susan Rice, the US representative to the United Nations, called yesterday’s briefing “very frank, comprehensive and illuminating” and said she looked forward to more sessions examining ways to prevent future mass rapes in DRC.

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon in recent days sent Khare to DRC to investigate why UN peacekeepers didn’t learn about at least 242 mass rapes in the Luvungi area from July 30 to August 4 until August 12, when it was informed by the International Medical Corps which was treating many of the victims.

The additional sexual attacks, in an area called Uvira and other regions of North and South Kivu, came to light during Khare’s trip.

He told council members he learned of 74 cases of sexual violence, including against 21 minors – all girls between the ages of 7 and 15 – and six men, in a village called Miki, in South Kivu.

All the women in another village, Kiluma, may have been systematically raped, he said.

Khare said in a community called Katalukulu, 10 women were raped by Congolese soldiers, which he said must “maintain a much higher standard of discipline, good behaviour and conduct, and observance of human rights”.

Altogether, he detailed new reports of mass rapes on various communities that added up to at least 267.

The assistant secretary-general called for prosecution of Rwandan rebel FDLR and Congolese Mai-Mai rebels blamed for many of the attacks and UN sanctions against their leaders.

Margot Wallstrom, who is responsible for UN efforts to combat sexual violence in conflict, expressed her alarm over the increase in reported rapes, saying they show “a broader pattern of widespread and systematic rape and pillage”.

A senior member of Wallstrom’s staff accompanied Khare on his recent trip.

“It is evident that rape is increasingly selected as the weapon of choice in eastern (Congo), with numbers reaching endemic proportions,” she told the Security Council.

“The sad reality is that incidents of rape have become so commonplace that they do not trigger our most urgent interventions.”

Wallstrom last month warned leaders of rebel groups that they could be prosecuted by the International Criminal Court because widespread and systemic sexual violence can constitute war crimes and crimes against humanity. 

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.