UN thanks Rwanda for keeping troops in Sudan

2010-09-27 07:57

UN chief Ban Ki-moon thanked President Paul Kagame of Rwanda yesterday for maintaining peacekeeping troops in Sudan despite anger over looming genocide accusations against the Rwandan army.

Rwanda had threatened to pull out of all UN peacekeeping operations because of a UN human rights report, due to be released on Friday, on the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).

Kagame’s government is furious because a draft of the report alleged that the Rwandan army carried out genocide-style slaughters of tens of thousands of ethnic Hutus in the DRC in the 1990s.

But the head of UN peacekeeping operations, Alain Le Roy, said Kagame had agreed to keep the 3 500 Rwandan troops in international operations, including 3 200 serving in the troubled Sudanese region of Darfur.

Ban met Kagame yesterday on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly.

“The secretary-general said he was very satisfied to learn that Rwanda would continue its important role in peacekeeping, especially in Darfur,” a Ban spokesperson said, noting the two men discussed the DRC report.

The joint UN-African Union force is currently led by a Rwandan general and a withdrawal would be a blow to peacekeeping efforts in Sudan, with a new rise in violence reported in recent weeks.

Ban went on a special surprise trip to Rwanda earlier this month in a bid to ease Kagame’s anger over the report – which the president has decried as “absurd” and “fraudulent” – and to get him to lift the threatened troop withdrawal.

In a face-saving move, the UN delayed the release of the report for one month and agreed to let countries named in the report add their comments.

Kagame led the rebel group that ended one of the worst post-World War II acts of genocide in 1994 when up to 800 000 people from Rwanda’s minority Tutsi population and moderate Hutus were slaughtered in massacres carried out by Hutu extremist militias.

Seven countries are named in the report. Burundi has demanded that it be removed from the final version.
The draft report had accused the Burundi army of the 1990s and allied rebels of committing atrocities against civilians in DRC.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.