US envoy in bid to rescue tottering Mideast talks

2010-09-28 10:11

The US envoy to the Middle East was heading to Israel today to try to rescue Israeli-Palestinian peace talks brought to the brink of collapse by the resumption of West Bank settlement building.

George Mitchell’s latest mission comes as the United States, which is brokering the talks launched on September 2, tries to prevent a walkout by Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas, who says there is no point talking if Israel keeps building settlements on occupied Palestinian land.

Late yesterday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton held talks by telephone described by State Department spokesman Philip Crowley as “very significant, very detailed, very direct”.

Crowley told reporters in Washington the talks built on the pair’s discussions a day earlier, which had centred on the expiry at midnight on Sunday of a 10-month moratorium on the building of new settler homes in the West Bank.

“The prime minister understands what our policies are. We understand his ongoing political difficulties,” Crowley said.

“We believe he’s sincerely interested in the process, recognises its importance.”

Netanyahu’s refusal to renew the moratorium has thrown the peace talks into jeopardy and has drawn widespread international criticism, including from the US, Britain, the European Union, France and the United Nations.

As bulldozers across the West Bank roared to life on Monday, Abbas said he would consult his Fatah movement and the Palestine Liberation Organisation this week and meet with Arab foreign ministers on October 4.

“After all these meetings we may be able to issue a position to clarify what is the Palestinian and Arab opinion on this matter,” Abbas said.

The Palestinians have called on Israel to extend the moratorium for three to four months so that the two sides can reach an agreement on final borders that would clarify where Israel can continue building.

Netanyahu has refused to renew the partial freeze, but has urged Abbas to stick with the talks, which were relaunched after a 20-month hiatus.

Crowley announced that Mitchell was on his way to the region late yesterday.

“We recognise that given the decision yesterday we still have a dilemma to resolve,” he said. “One way or the other the parties have to find a way to continue direct negotiations.

He praised Abbas for not immediately backing out of the negotiations, saying his “restraint at this point is appreciated”.

Israel’s hardline Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman, meanwhile, said Palestinian negotiators had “wasted time” during the settlement moratorium but added that it was important to “keep the political process alive”.

For “nine months the Palestinians wasted time and completely refused to accept this gesture and accused Israel that it’s a fraud, it’s not serious,” Lieberman said after meeting with UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon.

“And today they are exerting pressure to maintain the same moratorium that they previously rejected,” he told reporters in New York.

Hamas, which rules Gaza, called on Abbas to stand by his threat to end the negotiations, which the Islamist movement has always vehemently rejected.

“I call on my brothers at the Palestinian Authority, who had stated they would not pursue talks with the enemy (Israel) if it continued settlement construction, to hold to their promise,” its exiled chief Khaled Meshaal said.

Yesterday, settlement construction was under way in several settlements across the West Bank.

There was no major construction taking place, in part because of Sukkot, or the Feast of Tabernacles, during which Jews are not supposed to work.

And just before the freeze ended, Netanyahu urged settlers to display “restraint and responsibility”.

The Palestinians have long deplored the presence of 500 000 Israelis in more than 120 settlements scattered across the West Bank and annexed east Jerusalem, lands expected to form the bulk of a future Palestinian state.

The international community views all settlements as illegal.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.