Venezuela breaks ties with Colombia

2010-07-23 08:42

President Hugo Chavez convened an emergency Defence Council meeting last night, after cutting ties with Colombia over accusations that Venezuela was harbouring hundreds of leftist rebels.

The “extraordinary” council meeting on national security matters included Vice President Elias Jaua, Foreign Minister Nicolas Maduro, Defence Minister Carlos Mata Figueroa and Attorney General Luisa Ortega.

A statement by vice president Jaua was expected later, officials said.

Chavez said: “I announce with a tear in the heart: Venezuela breaks off from this moment all relations with the government of Colombia.”

Maduro quickly followed that statement by issuing a 72-hour deadline for Colombia to withdraw its diplomats from Venezuela and close its embassy. Venezuela would also close its embassy in Bogota, he added.

The announcement marked a fresh spike in tensions between the South American neighbours, which nearly went to war in 2008 over a Colombian military raid into Ecuador to destroy a cross-border rebel camp.

Venezuela also called for Ecuador, which holds the rotating presidency of regional body Unasur, to call an emergency meeting of foreign ministers to “denounce the serious attacks from the Colombian government against (Venezuelan) sovereignty.

“This new attack sets the scene for a dangerous escalation,” Venezuela’s foreign ministry said.

Colombia, Washington’s staunchest military ally in the region, and Venezuela, a leftist Cuban ally that has used its oil wealth to accumulate an arsenal of modern Russian warplanes and weapons, have frequently quarrelled in recent years.

The putative help Chavez is accused of giving the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) guerrillas has fuelled much of the ill-will and sent relations in a tailspin.

Colombia and Venezuela froze diplomatic ties last year after Bogota and Washington inked a military cooperation agreement Chavez considered a threat to regional security.

A mutual loathing between Chavez and Colombian President Alvaro Uribe – who steps down on August 7 to be succeeded by his former defence minister Juan Manuel Santos – has also aggravated the situation.

Santos declined to comment on the row.

Chavez’s latest decision to break ties came in response to Uribe’s charge that rebels from the FARC and the smaller National Liberation Army (ELN) insurgency group were using Venezuela as a rear base.

Uribe spoke last week of “the presence in Venezuela of terrorists who are seeking to attack our country”.

Four FARC leaders, and one from the ELN were in Venezuela, are operating from there with impunity and threatening to take the matter to international forums, he said.

Venezuela has strenuously denied the accusations, and last week recalled its ambassador to Bogota to register its anger.

Colombia responded in kind, withdrawing its envoy to Caracas days later.

The Colombian representative to the Organisation of American States, Luis Hoyos, told the Washington-based body yesterday that there were 1?500 Colombian insurgents in Venezuela split into dozens of camps established in recent years.

Bogota has evidence of “the consolidated, active and growing presence of these terrorist bands in the brother country of Venezuela,” he said.

Showing graphic photos of victims of attacks he said were carried out by Venezuelan-based guerrillas, Hoyos said Caracas must “accept its obligation” to bar the rebels from its territory.

Colombian Ambassador Maria Luisa Chiappe said cutting ties was “one of the most drastic actions you can take in diplomacy, making this a serious and lamentable situation”.

She said all Colombian diplomats in Venezuela would return to Bogota within the deadline imposed by Chavez, but that administrative staff would stay on at the missions.

UN chief Ban Ki-moon urged both sides to avoid further escalation, expressing hope that the neighbours could smooth out their differences through dialogue.

The US State Department said Chavez’s decision to cut ties was not the “proper way” to raise concerns.

But Chavez said his decision was “lamentable but necessary” and based on “dignity” in the face of Colombia’s allegations.

Chavez said: “If there is any Colombian guerrilla camp (in Venezuela), it is without authorisation.”

He held his Colombian counterpart responsible for the dive in relations, saying: “Uribe is capable of ordering a fake camp be built on the Venezuelan side to attack it and cause a war.”

He warned that “we would go crying to a war with Colombia but we would go.”

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.