WCape rape accused to appear on Monday

2013-02-08 11:18

A second man linked to the gang-rape, mutilation and murder of Bredasdorp teenager Anene Booysen would only appear in court next week.

“His appearance is on Monday in the Bredasdorp Magistrate’s Court and not today,” National Prosecuting Authority Western Cape spokesperson Eric Ntabazalila said in response to media reports.

He said once the man, aged 21, had appeared, the case would be postponed to Tuesday to coincide with the appearance of a 22-year-old man whom Booysen identified shortly before she died in hospital.

He made his first court appearance earlier in the week.

Booysen was left for dead at a construction site near her home after visiting a sports bar on Friday night. She had reportedly worked as a cleaner for Asla Construction.

Her aunt Wilma Brooks wept when describing Booysen’s injuries to the Cape Argus.

“Her throat had been slit, all her fingers and both legs were broken, a broken glass bottle had been lodged in her, her stomach had been cut open... That which was supposed to be inside her body lay strewn across the scene where they found her,” she said.

Booysen died in hospital on Saturday afternoon.

Her death provoked outrage from all sectors of society.

The Congress of SA Trade Unions was planning to deliver a memorandum to the Bredasdorp police station after Booysen’s memorial service on Sunday.

Provincial Cosatu secretary Tony Ehrenreich said they would picket outside the magistrate’s court on Tuesday to support Booysen’s family and “display our disgust at this cowardly act”.

The Young Communist League of SA described the crimes as “stomach churning”.

“We call, as an immediate measure, for a police officer in every police station nationwide to receive extra training around rape and sexual violence,” spokesman Khaya Xaba said.

“It is abhorrent that women reporting rape are often met with incredulous smirks by police. Police must be seen to be taking rape very seriously.”

Yesterday, President Jacob Zuma described the crime as “shocking”, “cruel” and “inhumane”.

“Impose the harshest sentences on such crimes, as part of a concerted campaign to end this scourge in our society,” he said.

“It has no place in our country. We must never allow ourselves to get used to these acts of base criminality to our women and children.”

SHARE:

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Inside News24

 
/News
Horoscopes
Aquarius
Aquarius

You may feel the urge to merge, but it may be better to escape into a tranquil and quiet setting and connect with your personal...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.