Wealth gap: SA between a rock and a hard place

2015-02-15 15:25

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

By next year, the world's richest 1% will own more wealth than the rest of us 99% combined.

In South Africa, the wealth gap is growing or shrinking, depending on whose date you trust. But one thing is clear: economic inequality between the obscenely rich and obscenely poor is bad for us all.

Starting this week, City Press examines the impact of the wealth gap on our society. Today, we look at why the super-rich will always be with us, meet a young security guard who explains why it's so expensive to be poor and find out why a successful entrepreneur doesn't think he's rich, despite his BMW and bodyguards.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.