Western Cape mayors reject e-tolls

2013-03-28 12:30

Several Western Cape mayors vowed to join the fight against e-tolling in the province.

“We, the mayors of the DA-led municipalities of Stellenbosch, Theewaterskloof, Drakenstein, Breede Valley, and the Winelands District want to express our unconditional opposition to Sanral’s proposed N1 and N2 Winelands toll project,” they said in a statement today.

“We wholeheartedly support the City of Cape Town in its attempt to obtain an interdict to stop this project and will soon formally meet with them to discuss our involvement.”

The mayors said the proposed tolls would have dire consequences for locals and the poorer communities would be largely affected.

The tolls would also badly affect the agricultural sector.

“Farmers already spend millions each year to transport their loads to and from the Cape Town harbour.

“The planned toll will be a tremendous additional financial burden to this industry and the many people it employs under difficult financial circumstances,” said the mayors.

They criticised the SA National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral) for not disclosing the cost of the project and for not providing the public with a full understanding of the financial implications.

The mayors said taxpayers had already spent large amounts of money on maintaining the province’s roads.

Sanral served the city with a notice on March 6 indicating that it intended resuming the project.

On Monday, city officials filed an application to halt the project.

Transport and roads mayoral committee member Brett Herron said the urgent interdict application had been set down for May 16 and 17 in the Western Cape High Court.

The city had previously filed an urgent interdict application in November 2011.

Sanral agreed, at that stage, to take no further steps towards introducing the project pending the review application yet to be decided upon by the Western Cape High Court.

It also undertook to provide the city with 45 days’ notice of its intention to start working on the project.

Herron said Sanral agreed not to conclude a concession agreement before June 1 2013.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/Sport

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.