Zuma ad implied endorsement – SABC

2012-11-27 16:06

A commercial for fish and chips which depicted President Jacob Zuma and his family having dinner was not aired because it implied presidential endorsement of the product, the SABC has said.

“We are of the view that the advert implied an endorsement of the product sold by the Fish and Chip Company,” spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago said in a statement today.

He said the SABC was concerned about media claims that it had banned the advertisement.

“The SABC reserves the right to exercise editorial control over all content, as per our trading terms, licence conditions, and public broadcast mandate.”

The animated commercial begins with the words “Dinner time at Nkandla” appearing over a picture of a mansion (watch the advert below).

The next frame is indoors. A woman, seated at one end of an extremely long dining room table lined with children and several women, says in isiZulu: “Oh Zuzulicious, we’re having fish and chips from Shabba today.”

The huge family enjoys the fish and chips dinner.

An animated Zuma responds: “Eat up honey bunch, there is a lot of good food here. It’s from the Fish and Chip Company. There are many of you in this house, at only R25 even Pravin will approve this.”

Kganyago said the advert was not submitted to the SABC in time for it to check the quality and other technical aspects of the clip.

The material needed to be received five working days before broadcast, but the advert only arrived on Friday just after 2pm, and was supposed to be aired on Monday.

The Star reported that the SABC had banned the commercial and that it was pulled just two hours before it was scheduled to be broadcast.

Paul Warner, the creative director at Metropolitan Republic Group – the agency which made the ad – said it was told the commercial had been banned because it was “degrading to the president”.

“They said our [SABC] bosses have made the decision not to flight it,” he was quoted as saying.

Warner reportedly told the newspaper that there was nothing wrong with the ad, and he did not understand how it could be pulled on the basis of being offensive without anyone having complained about it.

Carlo Gonzaga, the chief executive of Taste Holding, under which the company falls, said it was “astounding” that the SABC would take a unilateral decision on behalf of the public.

“I think it’s presumptuous.”

SHARE:

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Inside News24

 
/News
Horoscopes
Aquarius
Aquarius

There is a mixed energy of harmony and tension that can surface today. The Jupiter Venus conjunction brings an element of luck and...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.