Zuma to talk about Hammerl’s death in Tripoli

2011-05-30 07:35

President Jacob Zuma will discuss photographer Anton Hammerl’s death during his visit to Tripoli for talks with Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, the SABC reported today.

“[The issue] is going to arise. Firstly, because we hear that the journalist in fact died and was never arrested. That begs the question why we were given information that was not accurate,” Zuma said.

He said it appeared that Hammerl did not have a proper burial.

“We are hoping we will be able to discover something for the family.”

Zuma will meet Gaddafi today, amid intensified Nato strikes on the his regime, as part of an African push to end the conflict.It was understood their talks could focus on an exit plan.

In a statement released by Hammerl’s family on Thursday, it urged Zuma “as a family man and father” to help locate the photographer’s remains and have them returned home so he could be put to rest.

Hammerl was covering the conflict in Libya when he was shot by militia loyal to Gaddafi on April 5 near the town of Brega.According to American journalists Clare Gillis and James Foley, and Spanish photographer Manu Brabo, Hammerl was left to die in the desert after they were arrested.

The South African government and the ANC publicly slammed the Libyan government last week following confirmation of Hammerl’s death by the three journalists.

South Africa accused Libya of lying.

It had assured officials he was safe even though it knew he had been shot dead.

International relations and co-operation department spokesman Clayson Monyela said on Wednesday that it was only when Gillis, Foley and Brabo were debriefed that the South African government became aware that the Libyan government had lied.

“We ask you to please be our hearts and to be our voices in appealing to Libya for the whereabouts of Anton’s remains. It is imperative for us that he is not failed on this level,” the family said in its statement, which was e-mailed directly to the presidency.

“We ourselves cannot rest until Anton is given a proper burial in South Africa at a site that will become a place where his children – Aurora (11), Neo (7) and 15-week-old Hiro – can come to pay tribute to their father.”

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.