Bafana defender involved in accident, woman killed

2009-06-30 00:00

PIETERMARITZBURG-BORN Bafana Bafana defender Bryce Moon was hospitalised after an car accident that allegedly left a woman pedestrian dead yesterday morning.

According to police reports, at around 6.30 am, the 23-year-old allegedly lost control of his vehicle and crashed into a tree after bumping a pedestrian.

At the time, he was retur­ning from the Aaron Mokoena Foundation Banquet held in Sandton after Sunday’s Confederations Cup Final between Brazil and the United States.

It is alleged that there were two passengers in the car with Moon at the time of the accident — both were hospitalised and one was released in the course of the day.

The woman who was allegedly struck by his car was also taken to hospital and died there, said Superintendent Eugene Opperman of Gauteng SAPS Communications Service.

Opperman said a case of culpable homicide has been opened.

Although he could not confirm whether the soccer star had been under the influence of alcohol when the accident took place, he said that blood had been drawn for further investigation.

Meanwhile, Moon’s family’s return to the province after the Confederations Cup Final was delayed by the news of the accident.

His father, ward councillor Patrick Moon, was supposed to have attended yesterday’s full council meeting, but instead he spent most of yesterday trying to track down the pedestrian.

“She did not have medical aid and I offered to pay her medical bills in full,” he said. “When we eventually found her, she had already passed on.”

Moon senior alleged the woman had been turned away from the hospital she was taken to. He added that he went to see her family to express his condolences.

He said his son was in a stable condition and had been moved out of the Morningside Medi-clinic intensive care unit in Sandton.

“When we got to Bryce, there were bandages everywhere,” he said. “He’s still under observation.”

The defender has injuries to his head, arms and left leg.

In a press release yesterday, ANC national spokeswoman Jessie Duarte called the actions of the hospitals that turned the pedestrian away irresponsible and disrespectful.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.