Blue light terror: Nothing to do with me, says MEC Radebe

2008-11-16 00:00

Social Development MEC Meshack Radebe, whose bodyguard shot the tyre of a car, resulting in an accident that injured eight people on Saturday, has distanced himself from the incident.

When approached for a comment by The Witness at the Camperdown police station, where his bodyguard was charged and detained, Radebe said he did not know what had happened as he was not present.

He said he had gone to the police station to get a briefing about what happened. “I don’t know anything about the incident. I was at home. They were coming to pick me up as I was to accompany Premier Sibusiso Ndebele on the disaster assessment visit to the Molweni area. I am not involved. The police will handle the matter.”

An altercation ensued between The Witness team and the MEC’s bodyguards and members of the SAPS. Two Witness journalists were prevented from posing further questions to Radebe and threatened with arrest.

Witness photographer Shan Pillay was forced to delete photographs he had taken of the MEC, his bodyguards and other police in the station’s parking lot. The police said the journalists had no right to be at the police station.

Radebe has been making headlines for all the wrong reasons lately.

Last week it emerged that Radebe has private security guards in addition to his VIP protection unit bodyguards.

The IFP raised the matter during a sitting of the provincial legislature’s finance committee, saying it was a waste of money.

When quizzed on the matter by Lionel Mtshali, the IFP leader in the legislature, Radebe refused to answer any questions.

The IFP alleges that the bodyguard involved in Saturday’s incident is from the private security company, but provided no proof. The police said he is with the VIP unit.

Last year Radebe found himself in hot water over the use of a state-funded helicopter, which costs R5 016 an hour, to go to functions.

Dubbed the “king of sod turning” by political opponents, Radebe also came under a barrage of criticism from opposition parties in 2007 when it emerged that he had spent about R6 million on sod-turning ceremonies in about a year.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.