Blue light victim warned in court

2010-01-28 00:00

THE VICTIM of an alleged blue light bully appeared briefly at the Camperdown Magistrate’s Court recently and was released with a warning.

Earlier this month, The Witness reported that Jude Ward was assaulted by a Special Operations Task Team traffic officer inside the Camperdown police station.

She drove to the station from the N3 just before the Umlaas turn-off after feeling threatened by the driver of a white unmarked Isuzu double cab with tinted windows who allegedly pointed and shouted at her.

The officer allegedly followed her to the station and assaulted her in the charge office in the presence of the police. Charges of reckless and negligent driving, as well as failing to comply with a traffic officer’s instructions were laid against her.

She laid a counter-charge of assault against the officer, who was not arrested and has not appeared in court. Her case was adjourned to February 2.

The Witness has received calls from people who claim to have been victims of an officer driving the same vehicle.

These people identified the vehicle as being the one that was pictured on the front page of Tuesday’s Witness.

Denzil Bazley said that on August 20 last year the vehicle had abused the blue lights to get through a convoy of cars and past an accident scene on the N3 near Westville.

“This is the same vehicle pictured in The Witness. I’d noticed it in my rear-view mirror coming all the way from the back, manoeuvring its way through the traffic. He forced other cars to give way to him and as he got parallel to me, I asked him what his problem was and he became abusive verbally and carried on through the traffic. He didn’t stop at the scene.

“I reported the incident to Hamilton Mzimakwe of the department of Transport, who phoned me back two weeks later saying that the driver of the vehicle had been disciplined,” Bazley said.

Senior citizen John Turner said he believes the same officer assaulted a senior citizen in Mayor’s Walk late last year.

Ward’s legal representative, Karen Hatting, said that both the case against her and the counter-assault charge are awaiting a decision by the chief control prosecutor as to whether to prosecute.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.