Bryce Moon ‘waits for SA call-up’

2010-04-17 00:00

BAFANA Bafana midfielder Bryce Moon and his family have expressed relief after the case of culpable homicide against him was withdrawn at the Randburg Magistrate’s Court in Johannesburg on Wednesday.

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) said the case has been withdrawn pending further evidence.

Last year, Moon hit pedestrian Mavis Ncube during the early hours of the morning, while driving home from a party organised by Bafana Bafana captain Aaron Mokoena.

Ncube was taken to hospital and died later from head injuries.

Moon, who is a Pietermaritzburg local, said he was “very relieved everything is over”.

“I’m looking forward to the World Cup. If my coach needs me, I’m ready to play for my country,” he said.

Moon’s father and local councillor, Patrick Moon, said the family is pleased at the outcome.

“We are, as a family, excited that this is all over. It has been a long, hard period as this has been going on for over a year,” he said.

Moon said his son was “relieved and waiting for [Carlos Alberto] Parreria’s call”.

Speaking to kickoff.com, Bryce Moon described the events of that fateful morning.

“It happened on a bend as I was driving from a friend’s place in Sandhurst [Johannesburg]. I was driving on the curve of a road and I couldn’t see the women. I say women, because there were two.

“When I suddenly saw them I tried everything I could to avoid hitting them so I tried to drive in the opposite lane, but in the confusion, they both ran in different directions. The lady I hit ran in my direction and, unfortunately, I hit her,” he said.

Despite being at a party until the early hours of the morning, Moon said he was not drunk.

“I did drink two beers at the party, but I was not drunk.

“The accident was unfortunate because the two ladies ran in different directions and the direction I chose happened to be the one where the lady ran to.”

Naren Sangham, Moon’s lawyer said “the flaws in the case are so vast” that the state was unable to continue, based on the evidence it had.

“The evidence could not have stood,” said Sangham. He described “gaping holes” in the case to the senior public prosecutor, who, after a 45-minute deliberation, had “no alternative but to withdraw the case based on the lack of evidence”.

He rubbished claims that four witnesses were present and ready to testify. Instead, he said a lack of witnesses made the state’s case against Moon weak.

“The only person who was present was the woman who accompanied the deceased. The deceased’s employer only arrived after the incident.”

Sangham said a statement from a police officer, who had arrived on the scene after the fact, could not be seriously considered.

“The officer said he could not attend to the accident as the JMPD [Johannesburg Metro Police Department] should, and he left.”

This may not spell the end of Moon’s legal woes.

The NPA has denied claims that the state has a weak case against Moon. It said the charges were withdrawn pending further investigations.

Ncube’s cousin and employer have been informed that they may be subpoenaed in future to provide testimony if the state deems it necessary.

“A withdrawal is not an acquittal, and if other evidence presents itself which can be sustained, the state may reopen the case,” Sangham said.

However, he did say that he “cannot see that happening”.

 

 

 

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.