Cheap cola blamed for gastro

2011-07-08 00:00

DICKSON Aboagye (36) and his three-year-old daughter Thandokazi got sick after drinking a soft beverage which was alleged to have reached it’s sell-by date.

Aboagye allegedly bought the beverage from a Port Shepstone food store last week. He alleged that he had bought the beverages at “crazily” slashed prices. The beverage is a product of Coca-Cola.

“I brought the drinks from Hibiscus Market Agencies on June 26 and consumed these at home with my daughter. We later had running stomachs and the next day we went to Dr Krian Pillay who treated us for dehydration resulting from gastro food poisoning symptoms,” said Aboagye.

Aboagye said he went back to the shop to demand a refund for his medical expenses but that failed.

One of the managers at the Hibiscus Market Agencies who did not want to be named confirmed that Aboagye came to the store and claimed R20 000.

“You can’t just claim that amount of money, it’s ridiculous. You need laboratory test results to prove that it is the drink that caused you to be ill, and that you bought it from us. When he came to our store we had no expired products,”said the manager.

Dr Pillay confirmed treating Aboagye for gastroenteritis.

However, he said this can be caused by a number of things from contaminated water or poisoned food or other liquids.

He said he could not say this was caused by a cold drink the man had drunk as no laboratory tests were performed.

CocaCola Fortune Group Communications Specialist Nolundi Mzimba said that the company takes queries from the consumers very seriously and that it applies the highest global standards for quality and safety in the production and distribution of all its products.

“We recently had an isolated case of a consumer who bought an expired two-litre Fanta Pineapple.

“We immediately investigated the issue by visiting the dealer.

“We confirmed that the dealer had expired stock. We asked the store manager to remove the stock and will work to ensure the products are removed,” said Mzimba.

She said the safety of all ingredients used in products of the company has been established and the use of these ingredients complies with relevant regulations in all countries where the products are sold. — WR.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/Sport

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.