City, Midlands going pink for Cansa Relay for Life

2015-03-10 00:00

CANSA Pietermaritzburg is painting the Midlands pink for cancer awareness this month.

Trees, cars and businesses across Howick, Hilton and Pietermaritzburg have been wrapped in bright pink ­material to get the city talking and market Cansa’s annual Relay for Life event.

The relay, set for March 20 at Cascades MTB Park, will see people from all over the city join together in support of cancer survivors, remember lost loved ones and raise money for the fight against cancer.

KwaZulu-Natal Cansa regional ­manager Lisa Strydom said those ­participating camp around the track and take turns to walk around the field throughout the night.

She said supporters could purchase white paper bags and decorate them in memory of loved ones and they would then be placed around the track.

“This year is … exciting , we have added a mountain biking circle next to the relay circle because of the big mountain bike following this area has,” said Strydom.

She said the organisation was approached by Pieter Viljoen of Howick’s Bella Vie Salon, who suggested Cansa paint the town pink instead of simply handing out flyers to advertise the relay.

Viljoen said he had seen a similar ­campaign by Pink Trees for Pauline, a cancer awareness non-profit organisation that originated in Graaff-Reinet, in the Eastern Cape: “20% of the sales of the pink material will go to Pink Trees for Pauline and the remaining 80% will go to Cansa Pietermaritzburg.”

The first mall on board was Howick’s Greendale’s Centre with Cascades, ­Piggly Wiggly, The Village and Hilton Quarry, St Ives Hotel and Hilton’s Protea Hotel following suit.

Viljoen said he had already sold around 500 m, but was aiming for 15 000 m by the end of March.

He added it was a great way for people to get involved with an amazing cause.

“It is important that 80% of the ­proceeds from the material will go to Cansa Pietermaritzburg so supporters can see the money they have donated is benefitting a local organisation.

“We are challenging more businesses, individuals and schools to take part and get involved in covering the city in pink.”

He said that one metre of the pink material cost R65 and encouraged people to leave the material up until mid-April.

It is also a gift that keeps on giving. “People can donate the material back to Cansa after April as they are thinking of making pillows out of it for cancer ­patients.”

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.