Community members protest displacement by Durban’s dig-out port

2014-03-31 00:00

HUNDREDS of community members on Saturday expressed their disapproval of the expansion of Durban’s dig-out port.

The South Durban Community Environmental Alliance (SDCEA) and other NGOs marched to the Durban City Hall to hand over a memorandum of concerns on Saturday.

They demanded that the municipality respond to their concerns within 14 days.

The expansion will increase the harbour’s capacity to handle more containers, with fewer emplyees given that one crane will require one operator and one truck will need one driver to load containers.

Desmond D’Sa, co-ordinator of the South Durban Community Environmental Alliance, said they were concerned about the lack of public participation in the port development.

He said residents of Wema, Jacobs, Dalton and Glebelands hostels and informal settlements surrounding the area of expansion will be displaced if the project goes ahead. He said these people are employed by small local businesses, which would be negatively affected by the project.

“The community is sidelined in this project. Last year the municipality promised to consult broadly with the community, and this has not happened until today. We are of the view that this project is not going to create jobs for locals, but for international corporations.

“This project has ignored significant social and environmental considerations in favour of the kind of neo-liberal economic policy that will not benefit these communities but rather governments and corporations invested in this project,” said D’Sa.

Among other concerns about the project is the increase in trucking on residential and national roads, and the inevitability of increased truck-related deaths, the conversion of the Clairwood racecourse into a logistics park and container depot as well as the increased health-related impacts due to the expansion of the petro-chemical industrial hub and the contribution of the entire project to climate change.

Thabo Mofokeng, eThekwini municipal spokesperson, said it is the citizens’ right to march when they have concerns. However, he said at this stage the munici­pality cannot comment until they have scrutinised the contents of the memorandum.

“The municipality will definitely respond to the memorandum within 14 days,” said Mofokeng.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.