DA boycott ‘ANC launch’

2013-06-27 00:00

ELECTION politics emerged in Pietermaritzburg yesterday, with the northern areas social ills campaign at the centre of the storm.

Democratic Alliance councillors boycotted the campaign launch, describing it “as nothing more than ANC electioneering”.

The opposition party was further incensed that yesterday’s full council meeting was postponed at the last minute to accommodate the campaign launch at the Truro Hall. It said it was also going to boycott today’s council meeting because the ruling party had acted in an “autocratic and dictatorial” manner by unilaterally changing the date of the meeting.

DA caucus leader Bill Lambert said the ANC was allowing its private election agenda to take precedence over a statutory council meeting. He said changing the date meant that the executive committee (Exco) meeting, which usually takes place on a Thursday, had to be postponed. Lambert added that a council beginning to turn the corner after being under administration can ill afford to postpone meetings. This was especially as the council was going on recess for the next two weeks.

Msunduzi Speaker Babu Baijoo said the council meeting had been postponed to accommodate a government event and not an ANC function. He said the social ills project was a multi-party campaign. “The focus is a war against drugs and crime. The same was done in Chatsworth and Phoenix. I felt it was an important enough reason to postpone the meeting. We followed due process. I contacted all party whips on Saturday and also placed a notice in Monday’s Witness.”

Premier Zweli Mkhize spoke briefly at the launch before rushing off to an urgent meeting in Johannesburg. His spokesperson Ndabe Sibiya later told The Witness that the meeting was not linked to former president Nelson Mandela’s critical condition, but to other matters.

Mkhize said the launch of the campaign was the beginning of the war against drugs.

KZN Finance MEC Ina Cronjé, who is championing the social ills campaign in the Umgungundlovu District, spoke out against those who excluded themselves. She said the campaign was for everyone who cared about the community. “The only people excluded are those that chose to exclude themselves.”

When Msunduzi Mayor Chris Ndlela spoke, members of the Msunduzi Rates Forum (MRF) walked out of the hall.

MRF chairperson Babs Sithapersad said the mayor had still not got back to them on the petition delivered to the municipality during a protest march late last year.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.