Department employees call on premier to sack HOD

2010-11-01 00:00

THE premier has until the November 9 to remove Yasmin Bacus as the head of the Community Safety and Liaison department or the department will be rendered ungovernable, staff members have threatened.

A small group of staff members aligned to the National Education, Health and Allied Worker’s Union issued the warning during a march to the premier’s office to hand over a memorandum of their grievances.

This is not the first time that employees of the department have called for the HOD’s removal.

Relations between the employees and Bacus have been problematic since the tenure of the former MEC Bheki Cele and the problem has been inherited by his successor, Willies Mchunu.

In the memorandum, the workers accuse Bacus of poor management, dividing and spying on employees and running the department through fear and intimidation, among other shortcomings.

They said they are also angered that Mchunu has yet to give the unions a report of an investigation that was commissioned against Bacus after they had raised their concerns with the MEC.

They said her contract expired some time ago and yet no interviews had been held to fill the post. Her contract is repeatedly being extended by two months, they added.

Mafika Maseko, a Nehawu official in the department, said the employees want to see Bacus leave the department.

“The situation in the department is untenable as the working conditions there are bad,” he said.

“The relationship between the workers and the employer is very bad and that is why we want her out of the department.

“We want the premier to compel the MEC to release the investigation report against Bacus that has been sitting for a long time to the union.

“We also want the premier, who is responsible for appointing the HOD, to take action against Bacus …And we also want him to appoint an acting HOD until the post has been filled by a suitable person because we no longer want her in the department.”

Maseko said they were giving the premier’s office until the November 9 to act on their concerns.

“If the deadline is missed, we will mobilise and strengthen for more action,” he warned

S.D. Zuma, manager of monitoring and evaluations in the premier’s office, accepted the memorandum and said the matter will be looked into.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.