Drive-by death horror

2014-10-13 00:00

FOURTEEN people were killed when two separate drive-by shootings on Saturday resulted in carnage on the roads of Ezakheni, Ladysmith.

At this stage, it is not clear if the two incidents are linked.

In the first incident, a Mercedes-Benz with five occupants was speeding down Peters Road, near Ezakheni, allegedly trying to escape gunfire from another vehicle.

When the occupants of the unknown vehicle fired at the Mercedes, the driver lost control and veered off the road. One person in the Mercedes died at the scene, and four others sustained gunshot wounds.

Transport, Community Safety and Liaison MEC Willies Mchunu yesterday said that 38 bullet holes had been found in the car.

In the ensuing commotion, a fully laden taxi collided with an oncoming truck as the truck driver attempted to avoid the fleeing Mercedes.

KwaZulu-Natal EMS spokesperson Robert McKenzie said a total of five people, including a small child, were declared dead on the scene by paramedics.

“Medics had to use the ‘jaws of life’ to remove several patients from the smashed minibus.

“Four of the fatalities were from the minibus, and all of them were female, while the driver of the vehicle was also fatally injured,” McKenzie said.

Police spokesperson Thulani Zwane confirmed that another four people involved in the accident died later in hospital.

“Eight counts of culpable homicide were opened at Lady­smith police station for the taxi’s victims. One count of murder, and four counts of attempted murder were also opened for the car’s occupants,” Zwane confirmed.

On the same day, about half an hour later, five people who were at a carwash in Ezakheni’s D section were shot and killed by occupants of a Toyota Avanza.

Another person was injured and managed to escape.

The suspects fled the scene, and police say a number of R5 and 9 mm cartridges were found on the ground.

“Five counts of murder were opened, and the motive for the shooting is unknown,” Zwane said.

Willies Mchunu has expressed his sadness and assembled a task team to deal with the incidents.

“I have assembled a high-level delegation to visit Ezakheni and establish the details. The team will also engage with the families of the deceased and injured. The perpetrators of this tragedy must be found with speed and severely punished,” he said.

In addition, KZN Premier Senzo Mchunu said he condemned the brutal nature of the crime that had been committed.

“I wish to state that as government we view the re-emergence of violence in Ladysmith as intolerable,” he said.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.