Fire razes woman’s Lincoln Meade home

2008-01-04 00:00

A FAMILY home in Murray Road, Lincoln Meade, was razed by fire yesterday morning, leaving only the garage standing.

House owner Nelisiwe Kunene said she has been left homeless, with only the clothes on her back.

“I lost everything. I don’t know where I am going to sleep, I don’t know what I am going to wear … I’m just like this,” said a visibly distraught Kunene.

She said she received a call at work just after 10 am informing her that her house was on fire.

She was then rushed home by a colleague, but by the time she got there, it was all over. Her home had been reduced to rubble within minutes of being engulfed by the flames.

The fire is a huge blow, because Kunene had paid off the house after 11 years, but had terminated the insurance on the property.

Vuyiswa, Kunene’s oldest daughter, said she left the house for a few minutes to go to the nearby shops.

She was notified by a taxi driver whom she knows that her house was on fire.

“I really could not believe it. It had literally been a few minutes. When I heard my house was on fire I ran home and people were already standing by … I had to watch it all go up in flames.”

All Vuyiswa (17) could think about in the aftermath was her clothes and the fact that they will have to go back to the township to stay with their granny.

A neighbour said he was working in his garden when he noticed the smoke. “I first thought it was a tyre burning and then I saw the flames. And let me tell you, it was a matter of minutes and the house was gone. The roof caught on fire and within minutes it caved in.”

He said the quick response of the fire brigade saved his own house. However, his roof suffered from smoke damage.

The neighbour said he first called the 10111 number, but the operator who answered swore at him, saying he was not the fire department.

“It was disgusting to say the least, I mean they are civil servants as well, it is their job,” said the neighbour.

Paul Muirhead was driving in the area around the time the fire started. “I saw the billowing smoke … flames were visible everywhere,” he said.

Muirhead, who joined the crowd and helped call the fire department, said the roof almost collapsed on the firefighters.

Juggie Padayachee, the operations manager of Fire Rescue and Disaster Management, said they are busy with the investigations.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.